Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help a dumb husband! :) >

Please help a dumb husband! :)

Please help a dumb husband! :)

Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 AM
k3n
Power Poster

OK here's what my DH says he'd do - research first by the methods given above - casual questions and looking online as suggested by crashnquilt - then he'd get me one but ONLY from a shop where he was absolutely sure it could be returned and/or exchanged if necessary. :D

K x

PS Well done you for braving the board to help chose your wife's gift! :D
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM

As an owner of a Pinnacle Grace quilting frame and a Bably Lock Pro Quilter machine, I want to say: Don't do it!

The writer that told you that a frame with a home sewing machine is a waste of resources, is exactly correct.

If you are duty bound to spend $$ ... to help your wife quilt her quilts, along with having her help you, the other suggestion I would make is a workcenter that has a big enough space to quilt a quilt on her table machine without having to fight keeping her quilt under her needle. A cabinet that allows her to have her sewing machine level with the work area would be a big help, whether she is just quilting straight lines or doing free motion quilting.
If I had it to do over, I would buy a big cabinet for working with .. or get the mid-arm quilting machine and frame ...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

At the risk of repeating, I second two things:
1 - How wonderful of you to research a gift for your wife like this! It's an awfully thoughtful thing to do. Do let her know, all the trouble you went to, she'll never forget it...and I am assuming she doesn't use our board, or you wouldn't be posting where she could see...tell her about us, we'd love to have her.
2 - Think about the gift certificate with a lovely dinner and a trip to her favorite place to shop for the frame. It's a lovely gift, for sure, but it would be like buying her a pair of shoes, without her knowing. I know it doesn't seem the same to you...get something small that she can open, like a box of fat quarters...go to a nice fabric store and tell the ladies, your wife quilts and you would like to purchase some fat quarters...and they will be very happy to help you. Women are mush for a man like you! You'll have your evening, a gift, in fact two, bc you can wrap the gift card and put in the center of the fat quarters, and she will be thrilled!!! Then she will have the 'outing' to go together to look at the quilting frames, and you can decide on prices, etc. together. She will love you forever.... :wink: (as if she wouldn't anyway, your a great guy!) :D
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Please, Please, do yourself a favor and let her pick out what she wants. She probably already has something in mind. She'll love it more if it's the one she wants. Your so sweet!!! :D
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM

exactly!
When you go shopping for the fat quarters, have in mind a theme or color combination your wife enjoys working with. My favorite holidays (Fourth of July and Christmas) are always good for a theme ... or, I shop by my favorite color ... so many shades and ways to highlight blue, don't you know ...
you can see ... with a minimum of knowledge (what is her favorite color) about your wife (what is her favorite time of year?) your local quilt shop will be able to fix you up with a good variety of fat quarters to hide your gift card in.
Congratulations on being a thoughtful, observant husband, who cares enough to give her the best. You are a special person who can see your wife's abilities and enhance them. You are doing your job very well.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Scott,

My husband got me a gracie frame for christmas a few years back but only after I had made sure our daughter knew exactly which one to tell him to get me.
A lovely homemade card given at a special dinner with a IOU a trip to pick out the frame of your choice is what I would have liked if he didnt ask my daughter which one I wanted. My mother-in-law got me a hintenberg frame last year and it is still in the box. I may never use it because it was not something I wanted. She just knew I wanted a frame. Every quilter is different.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Hi Scott, I have a Hinterberg floor frame. My Hubby got it for me 10 years ago for my b-day and it is my pride and joy! It goes from baby quilt size all the way up to King size. www.hinterberg.com or call 1800-443-5800 and they will sent you a catalog in the mail.I have used it all these years and still love it. I can put a quilt in in about 20 min. and turn it all by myself. Also room for 2 or 3 friends to quilt with me! Good luck! Ninnie in NC
Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Depending on what you want to spend, I've used a Gammell long-arm and a Tin Lizzie 18 and I'd prefer the Gammell, lots of bucks. The Tin Lizzie 18 can be used on a smaller frame for small quilts around 50" wide. Would be great for baby quilts and they run about $6,000 in our area. You can look at them at www.tinlizzie18.com.

I do think that your dear lucky wife needs to pick out the quilting machine that she wants and you can have the satisfaction of going with her and seeing her make all those important decisions as to accessories that she has to chose from. She is one luck gal. You can always ask dealers for brochures of their wares and put them in a card, that way she knows that you've done research and thought into the gift.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

Scott,

What a nice hubby to want to surprise your little woman with something so nice! What a Guy! I say if you do a little research you can find just the right one at the price you can afford. Just make sure it is compatable with her machine. Six hundred dollars is a good price for a little gracie II and if it is the place I am thinking (sew and Vac), they throw in a quilt cad software which is a great deal. I would say one thing though, get the fourth rail when you buy the table, it is less money if you do. Oh and don't forget the cloth leaders! Just ask they will explain it to you when you call.

Check on (watch) the classifieds here on the board too. Sometimes there are some great deals just waiting for you to pick up.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I do hope if you visit us again, that you will let us know how things went, no matter what you decide. We'd like to hear how the story ends :D