Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM

I think this is the way to go. I have plastic bins (only about 4 because my stash is still small) and I have to take it all out to find and select a fabric I want, even if they are organized by color. With your folded fabric you can see it all and it won't be hard to hold up a fabric you are trying to coordinate with to a stack to see if there is a fabric in there you want to pull out.
BTW, I see many beautiful fabrics in your stash and would love to shop your stash. Also you have a fabulous sewing room with plenty of natural light. You'll feel great once it's all organized so get going! Well all cheer you on and show us pictures of your progress.
Kathy
Originally Posted by JanetM
How about the ruler method of folding fabric. Because you have such deep shelves, after folding your fabric around the 6 x 24 ruler, slip the fabric off, and just fold it once, in half. Your fabric will then measure approx. 6 x 22 (width of ruler x ½ the 44 width of fabric)

Here is a tutorial to help you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo
Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have a big closet but the shelves are too deep.
I use the top of my closet for some of my stash and the shelves are deep there, too.

I actually have some small (empty) plastic containers behind the fabric so that it stays to the front. I'm sure if I ever need to use those containers keeping the fabric to the front won't be nearly as easy.
Picture here:
http://debzpicaday.blogspot.com/2011...57-of-365.html
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 AM

you could use see thru plastic bins that are that deep and set them side by side, the long end to the back.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 AM

God bless you!!! My sewing room (used to be family room) looks just like yours-----my daughter (42) commented ("whatever works for you !") Maybe totes might work--could pull them out when looking for a certain color--kinda like drawers. good luck
Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Fold them LONG to fit the shelves and you'll be able to see what you have. Also, sort to color, batik, flannel, solids, etc.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 AM

I have the same problem with deeper shelves. I agree with Janet. it doesn't take buying stuff. Just fold your yardage longer and flatter with folded edge to the front. This will not work so well with fat quarters or small pieces. those you can fold and place in something like boxes that are clear. you can get a lot into a single box so you shouldn't have to stack them too many high. I.m for saving the money to buy material not stuff.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 AM

I would luv having shelves ...
Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 AM

I have the same stash!! Mine's larger, a lot larger!

I bought a ton of fabric boards (plastic, very strong & good price) from M.I.Late (her online id...search for it)...I love them. I am waiting for more, hoping to get them today (ran out of the large ones).

I am also going to have the quilt shop I go to save their empty boards for me, as I have a lot of fabrics longer than 5 yards...and these would be best on full size bolt boards.

For your deep shelves...if you were to wrap the fabrics on the fabric boards, or if you can't afford to purchase them (they are a great price, but for what you need, cost will add up), use cardboard for now, but wrap it first in plastic wrap, or freezer paper to keep the brown from touching the fabrics. It will work in a pinch.

Cut the cardboard into pieces for fat quarters aprox 4x6", the ones for midsize (two yards or less) about 6" x 10", large (about 5 yards each or less) about 8 x 12" ...aproximate sizes.

I also cut my own cardboard for larger yardages 8" x 24" (these will hold 44-45" Fabrics folded as they are in fabric stores...just once down the center. You can get up to 15 yards on them.

My problem is that I have used 15 packages so far...and have only emptied one row of a shelving unit! I had tons of material in bags & totes...and a big batting box...and I'm still finding bags of fabrics. These are now in 10 boxes, all folded onto boards, waiting for room on the shelves to be color sorted.

I have one more order of boards coming...and will probably order more. For now, I have to be content...wait for more bingo wins to come in, LOL.

Do make sure to cover the cardboard with freezer paper, saran wrap, etc....you don't want cardboard touching the fabrics.
Marge

Hi everyone,
I think I figured out why I can't get organized. I have a big closet but the shelves are too deep. Does anyone have any help for me??
I'm really frustrated.
I'm going to take a pic. Please don't faint!

Thanks,
Sue

PS. Okay I took pics. I just can't get a system down and end up sewing in the kitchen on my FW.
That's NOT a solution lol
Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 AM

The width of most fabric is 42 -44 the size of bolt. Ok. start by folding the fabric width long and maybe 12 to 16 wide, And be consistent in size so they stack nicely without flopping over each other.. Put them in order by color untll you can get your bins, perhaps you want to get them a few at a time. And maybe you will like this idea for yardage and use the smaller pieces in bins. Just my opinion here.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM

I am sure your shelves are NOT too deep for plastic containers. Make sure you get see through containers or some large labels. Sort by fabric style/color/size. I would kill for more shelving!
Subee
http://www.subeesews.com
Hi everyone,
I think I figured out why I can't get organized. I have a big closet but the shelves are too deep. Does anyone have any help for me??
I'm really frustrated.
I'm going to take a pic. Please don't faint!

Thanks,
Sue

PS. Okay I took pics. I just can't get a system down and end up sewing in the kitchen on my FW.
That's NOT a solution lol