Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help identify quilt patterns >

Please help identify quilt patterns

Please help identify quilt patterns

Old 10-20-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Please help identify quilt patterns

I inherited several quilts from my grandmother and my great-grandmother. I am trying to identify the patterns. This quilt was made by my great-grandmother who was born in 1897! The quilt is falling apart, but I treasure it so. Do you know if this pattern has a name?
Attached Thumbnails screenshot_20211020-161750_gallery.jpg  
Old 10-20-2021, 01:30 PM

It’s so scrappy it’s kind of hard to tell but I’m sure they had to use what they had at the time. I see Churn Dash in what I can tell. The one to the right of the full block may have been resized pieces just to make it fit with the fabric she had, as they look more square in the center of the nine patch instead of the 2 rectangles together.
my grandmother was born September 21, 1889 and she was a quilter too. My oldest daughter’s birthday is September 20th. I once embroidered a wall hanging of family tree. When my daughter read it she said I embroidered her birthdate wrong. She said hers was the 20th NOT the 21st. I told her one good thing, at least I didn’t put her born in 1889!-lol
Attached Thumbnails 9278e853-cc5a-406d-a063-cbd91e4cd5c6.jpeg   ed8aaf31-f6d9-4e27-8984-dacf7c98863e.jpeg  
Old 10-20-2021, 01:44 PM

Do you see it here? The block I was speaking of that I thought she had maybe resized , is the same. I was wrong thinking it was different. It may look different for serval reasons such as color placement, the angle picture was taken or just deterioration. It’s the last block here I copied from your quilt.seems like her white half square rectangles are on the outside instead of turned by center square, so I think it’s probably all a Churn Dash just very scrappy, so it’s hard to distinguish some blocks.
I have kept one of my grandmothers too. It’s all the State flowers hand painted and if I remember correctly, may be set on point. Painting is on white blocks alternating with the old pink colored squares.
Attached Thumbnails ce0ecb7f-97d6-4e0a-9014-d6c5cb2018a5.jpeg   551b114f-eb7d-44b8-a0a5-b6b5bf943508.jpeg   8cc111e1-829c-4106-9d9f-649b24cd2e48.jpeg  
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 AM

Toogie,
Thank you so much for this information! It is invaluable! I appreciate you so much. And that story about your daughter's birthday is hilarious! Ha! Now she has a permanent keepsake of a great story about her mom to pass down through the generations.
If it is okay with you, I may ask about some other quilts I have that are from my grandmother.
Thanks again for your expertise.
Kim (Wilkesgirl)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:57 PM

Toogie……you are brilliant with an excellent eye… well done assisting Kim with her treasures..
Old 10-25-2021, 04:39 PM

Wow! What a treasure to have! I truly respect toogies’s ability to spot that churn block amidst all the variations the quilt has of it. Churn block is one of my favorite patterns, but It took a bit to spot it in this quilt. It is easier to see in the left red and cream block, I think. I agree that the quilter was using what she had! Very very resourceful! My great aunt also made a churn block. Probably a similar time era as this one. It was quite a popular pattern.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:25 PM

You’re welcome wilkesgirl and I am far from an expert-lol. I usually can figure a quilt out, if I study it a while, if it’s not obvious. Your quilt , even though it’s a fairly simple, old block had so much going on, with the different fabrics was why you couldn’t see it. Although I have been sewing 50+ years, I really started making large quilts about 2 years ago when I joined my local group of Quilt of Valor, so I may not know the names of some of the blocks. I would like to see your other quilts though. I used to love making heirloom baby clothes with both hand or machine embroidery, smocking bishops and making christening gowns with insertion lace, etc. That was my love until I got into quilting.😃
Old 10-26-2021, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

The block is also called hole in the barn door. I love that name for it.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:07 AM

Default Help me identify more patterns, please.

Any help is much appreciated. I would like to know the names of these patterns.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:10 AM

Another one.