Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me With This Challenge

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Those are lovely!! I love the four blocks together, but what about piecing a small triangle to the inner corner of each block, so you end up with a square on point in the middle? I'd use repro fabrics, then sash the block of four in black. More repro fabrics should fill out the space between the blocks. Savvy? Wish I could show you.

I too think I would try to use colors of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by leggz48
    I have a friend (80+ years old) whose mother made these embroidered quilt blocks in the late 30s or early 40s. She has been talking about getting them into a quilt but she is physically unable to accomplish this task. I brought them home to finish the project for her and am now challenged on what fabric to use in sashing and bordering. I am appreciative of the era and the value of an antique quilt, but she just wants it finished so she can pass it on to someone special before she leaves this world. They are a variety of colors and all are on a heavy muslin fabric that appears to be tea-dyed....but this is the real deal. What suggestions can you offer? Thanks in advance for your expertise.
    OMG!!! It looks like you've been digging in my sewing room! I have a collection of butterflies on heavy cotton that may be this same pattern! They're from my Grandmother (b.1900) or Great Grandmother (b.1875). My Mom doesn't know which. I've wondered how to put them together also. I'll look for them today and post a pic. Thanks for posting your pics!

I have seen these quilts with solid yellow (light) or aqua.. a dark gray or kona coal would look good too I think

I would use black cotton and if you wanted something very subtle look for a tone on tone but very muted. Otherwise I very nice back cotton

This site might give you some ideas.
    http://www.annalena.com/

I am 81 and recognize this butterfly pattern. The time is correct from the looks of the individual fabrics used although the same pattern is still used from then until today.
    The muslin is not tea dyed, It came that light beige color, and lightened with washing and drying it in the sun outdoors on clotheslines.
    These blocks were probably intended to be used with plain colored sashing. Yellow or green or blue were favorites or even red - although it was likely to run and was not used as much. Bubblrgum pink was a vegetable dye (annato) and had a tebdency to fade although it was a pretty color.
    Jeannie

Blog Entries
    A tiny print with many of the colors of the butterflies would be lovely. If I were making this quilt it would be like that. A small print will highlight each color.

Blog Entries
    I like the gray of the carpet behind in the picture. Sets it off
    and doesn't detract from the butterfly squares...

I think black sashing would be the best choice, since the bodies and outlines are done in black. This would make the blocks "pop". Good luck

Blog Entries
    I really liked the examples (from Google images) that alternated the butterflies with a solid square.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquilting
    This site might give you some ideas.
    http://www.annalena.com/
    Oooh... I like the "on-point" variation, also alternating with solid blocks. Nice...

Blog Entries
    Jeannie, thank you for being here and offering the context directly from your experience. Makes this place even more wonderful than it already is!

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    I am 81 and recognize this butterfly pattern. The time is correct from the looks of the individual fabrics used although the same pattern is still used from then until today.
    The muslin is not tea dyed, It came that light beige color, and lightened with washing and drying it in the sun outdoors on clotheslines.
    These blocks were probably intended to be used with plain colored sashing. Yellow or green or blue were favorites or even red - although it was likely to run and was not used as much. Bubblrgum pink was a vegetable dye (annato) and had a tebdency to fade although it was a pretty color.
    Jeannie

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful collection of ideas here. I love soul-mate-sister's suggestion (but put on point). Can you tell I like "on point"?

Quote Originally Posted by grayma
    I am too new at this, but I think some sort of 30's reproduction prints would look nice. Something not too busy that would complement the blocks, not overpower them. Those are sew pretty!
    I would take some blocks with me to the fabric store where they sell 30's repro fabric. Test the prints and solids with your blocks. You may want a combo of prints and solids for sashings and borders. I have an old Sunbonnet Sue quilt. I took it to the fabric store and bought a solid and print for the borders. I also talked to quilt appraiser. She suggested I use a unbleached muslin backing, cotton batting, all cotton thread for hand quilting, and cross-hatching hand quilting designs for the background of blocks for more authentic look because I wanted a written appraisel of its worth when I get it done. I hope that helps. Maybe it's too much info for you. Good luck and sent pictures.

I like the four blocks together but I would point the butterflies outward instead of inward then I would use a 30's era fabric probably a solid or two color (not a multi-color fabric) for a sashing.

If you want the quilt bigger I would still put the four blocks together to make a big block and alternate with a large solid block of 30's fabric then use a multi-color 30's print for the sashing. In the big solid blocks I would have my quilter sew a beautiful butterfly design.

Can wait to see what you decide to do with your friend's blocks!

Angie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I think a lavender or turquoise would be charming! Black makes me shudder because it is so out-of-keeping with the period during which the butterflies were made.
    Not to mention that this is an heirloom quilt to be and many blacks will fade, some more than others. Just saying, black fabrics often don't age gracefully.

If it was me I would set the butterflies on point and use 30's reproduction fabrics as the sashing. There are some absolutely
    beautiful reproduction fabric out there. It would be keeping with the time period of the blocks.

I think I would like it with a black/white floral for the sashing, and a solid black binding. That would set off the colors in the butterflies.

Oh how funny, after my Grandmother passed my Mom found 16 of the same butterflies in her things. She gave them to me as I am the only quilter in the family. They are not sewen onto blocks yet but I am putting them on musslin and using 1930's repro. fabric for the sashing. Good luck with your project.

First I might ask the question of how large you want it and how many blocks you have. I think many of the ideas are good but would stay away from black to honor the era of the quilt. I think the solids and some 30's repo's would be good. I have made sashing that introduces a blending of colors diagonally across the quilt and I think that would be a good way to have both the yellow and aqua. I would experiment with a double sashing (not cornerstones) with both the solids and the reproduction calico prints. You would get a slight log cabin feel and a secondary pattern that would be subtle enough to blend not overwhelm the butterflies. Good luck and enjoy!!

Blog Entries
    Kona has some 30's solid colors.

Personaly I think a nutural soft color would be best. Never know what colors any one would be using with it. I have a problem with pink as I use lots of red. Don't like blue but so many don't like green. Beauty is in the eye..... so I'd use something that isn't a real definate color that would clash a room decore.
    She did such a great job on these little butterflies that it needs to be a joy for whom ever gets it. Other wise find out who she plans to give it to and what colors they like.

Try Keepsake Quilting for the '30's fabric reproductions. They have quite a selection of prints and solids that would work well with what you have.

Pick a couple of the colors that are used in the quilt, and use one for sashings and the other for cornerstones. I did one with 30s repros and used a simple yellow print for sashings and a lighter solid green for the cornerstones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast