Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help Me With This Challenge >

Please Help Me With This Challenge

Please Help Me With This Challenge

Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Go to the quilt store and there are a lot of that error fabrics that would lend well for the sashing. They are great and the nice thing about that time frame the fabric isn't so loud that it's hard to match.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by leggz48
I forgot to mention there are 24......thanks for the link; there were a number of examples with pastel sashing. I am a little concerned with the dark tea-dyed appearance of the muslin so I was thinking of a mottled blender brown; however, now condsidering a lavendar or turquoise. Will have to try some swatches. Keep those ideas coming. I appreciate your help.
if the blocks are old, the muslin might be closer to white and just have that aged look.

I'd very carefully soak the blocks in Oxy-Clean, rinse carefully then dry carefully. You may be surprised by the real colors.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM

I am throwing my 2 cents in to the bunch. I would use a floral 30's repro fabric for the sashing and inner border. Then a solid to match one of the colors in the butterflies for the outer boarder with another repro print for the binding. But then I like lighter flavored things.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM

I'm inspired by all these wonderful suggestions. I like the Sunbonnet Sues with the strip pieced 30's print jelly rolls, and I really appreciate the background experience shared by jpthequilter. I can hardly wait for my next trip to my LQS. Stay tuned.......I will post when complete. Thanks to all!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM

I too would use black sashing, no border and bind in black. There is black in every butterfly so that would unify the whole quilt.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
I like the mottled fabric idea what if you sashed with a variety of colors based on what is in each butterfly using black cornerstones and a black border and binding?
OOOOH, that would be beautiful
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Thirties fabrics are saturated pastels. Several colors are indicative of the Tirties--that NILE GREEN, APRICOT, and DENIM BLUE in your butterflies. I think I would use a small Thirties repro print.

Thousands of Bolts has some very pretty Thirties prints, many pretty blues, for $4.25 a yard, quilt shop quality.

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/inde...=45&hidesbfq=0
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I think I would just use black cotton for the sashing and binding. Unless you really want it larger, I don't think I would do a border.
i think i'd use a tone on tone black for the sashing and a border all around same size as sashing.....and i would use a small border in a 30s print outside of that & bind in the black.. should be big enough for a good size lap quilt that way she sure did beautiful work!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM

hello, you are blessed, and so is the friend, i would not use anything except something that looks very old, floral something, very small print.....with the cream background you can use another patterned fabric....good luck.....i wouldn't use a solid fabric, i would use a very small print....
Old 09-19-2011, 06:52 PM

What if you made a 9 patch of 30's prints and alternated with the butterflies? It would depend on how large you want the quilt. By the way they are beautiful and what a lovely act of kindness you are doing!!!