Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me decide if this table will be worth it. >

Please help me decide if this table will be worth it.

Please help me decide if this table will be worth it.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I have the third one, sewing and craft table. I've had it several years and it is very sturdy and my cats even jump onto the extension, big cats and it is still perfect. I leave it set up w/extension open.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM

Unless you HAVE to have it fold up, I'd find a less expensive one. A friend of mine got one of theses, and it was not as Sturdy as as she had hoped. I bet a used drop leaf table might work, if you need it to fold up.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM

I have the one pictured that doesn't have shelves under it; I've had it for over 2 yrs. It works really well and I put cubbies w/drawers under if for storeage.

By the way, I got mine on sale at JoAnns for a little over 100.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I have one that I found on craigslist similar to that. On the up side - I like that one better BECAUSE it has a shelf and the height is adjustable. On the down side I too think it is pricey.

Mine is stable for a work surface and was the perfect size for the large olfa mat. I used it a lot for cutting. I would not want to sew on it (just my opinion). I have retired mine as I am tall and needed more height. I went to Ikea and purchased a Formica table top and four adjustable legs for less than what that costs. My new setup however does not fold as the Walmart one does.

If you need it to fold - Joannes also has one - that is cheaper. This is like the one I have. It is currently as I post 50% off. Again no shelves - but you can purchase loads of plastic tubs for $150!!!

http://www.joann.com/home-hobby-table/xprd830869/
this is the one that I have; very sturdy. I had also gotten the large mat that covers it. Don't waste you money on the mat because it's not self healing and after a few cuts it acts like your blades are dull but its the matt. I leave the mat on for protection but rarely cut on it due to this reason. Great table though. Easy to put together; just watch putting the rollers on. There are two different types and one set if for the middle and the other is for the outside. If you don't get it right then it's wobbly unless its not folded up. Other than that; very sturdy and easy to cut on.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Got mine at Joanne's on sale for $59.99, no shelves but the same other wise. Have had it for about 12 years and it is still perfect. If you have a Joanne's near you just watch for a sale they still have them. and usually $69.99 to $79.99 today's dollars. And if you get a 20 off you entire purchase makes it even less. Just type in Joanne Fabric coupons and watch for extra savings.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM

I have this exact one. I got it for less than that price,I think around 179 at Hancock Fabrics on sale. It is pretty sturdy compared to the one without the shelves which I also had and I had to keep tightening the "screws" because I did have to move it a LOT. The only issue I am having with this one is where the bottom of the swing table leg attaches to the table(peg and hole) The peg keeps popping out . I haven't figured out a way to keep it in and it is very annoying because then the drop leaf loses its support. . The table still wiggles a lot more than I like even with the peg in right
My suggestion is.. If you can , <have the room, don't need a drop leaf, and are not moving constantly so the table can be in one place,> use the cabinet or table ideas. Something solid. For that price I am pretty sure you could get cabinets and put a top on or get the table top and adjustable legs. Much much better in my mind. It is what I will do if I can ever land permanately
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM

At 72 lbs, how portable would it be? For $200 you could buy a lot of wood to make a table.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Yep JAs for me too. Use it all the time for basting quilts. Waited for it go on sale at 50% off
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM

I have one something like that -- bought it at JoAnn's. It really isn't that sturdy but is a good cutting table--I wish the height could be adjusted on it and it doesn't have the shelves. To make the top even at the joints I put potholders on top of the moving support legs.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sullivans-...Specifications

The link has the Sullivans Adjustable Home Hobby Table listed at Walmart for $229.99 today.
I like the fact the height can be adjusted from 29'' to 38''. I like the shelves in the middle to store rulers, etc.
I would use it to cut fabric as well as move it by my sewing machine when quilting space is needed behind my sewing machine. It ships free to the house.

The one review gave it 5 stars. Has anyone used this table before. I appreciate your help. Thanks
I have that table from JoAn's and I don't sew on it. I love it for cutting and I don't find it too flimsy. The fact that the height on this table height is adjustable is very interesting. If you could return it if the quality is not good, I would go for it. Since you plan to use it for additional table space when quilting and not a table for sewing it might be just what you need. It is a little pricey but Sullivan is a pretty good brand for office furniture etc. My computer desk is a Sullivan.