Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
please help me decide layout on triangle quilt >

please help me decide layout on triangle quilt

please help me decide layout on triangle quilt

Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I vote random
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM

Definitely the random. You did a good job guessing measurements. I have made this quilt and would make it again. I love your fabric choice.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Well, I guess i am in the minority, but I do like the diamonds the best. Guess I am more inclined to controlled scrapiness. Whatever you decide, please share with us.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Random for sure! Beautifulchoice of fabrics!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 PM

I lie the random.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

i like the random layout
Old 12-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Feline, what are your thoughts for the quilting? Is there a particular motif you want to use? There are several different kinds of quilting and the layout might influence what you are going to quilt. What is the use of this quilt? Is where it is going very structured? if so, you might be better with the more defined shapes (triangle/diamond) if the spot where this is going is more "free spirited" then the random one might be the better choice.

I can actually see the different types of motifs I would use to accent the shapes, for the random I would do a smaller triangle design. For the large diamond shapes, I would quilt a motif big enough for each diamond......same as with the large triangle

Now that I am thinking, I would love to try some big quilt motif for each of the diamonds....something dramatic Might have to put that on my "to do" list in the future

Last edited by CarolynMT; 12-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

BeckySt, It was your beautiful chopsticks quilt that inspired me to make mine! That pattern never would have hit my radar if not for your gorgeous example. For those interested, Becky's wowser version is pictured here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t213042.html

I loved how Becky quilted hers and also her fabric selections. I am thinking I may be going more in a direction of Green Fairy's style in my quilting. That solid cream screams to me for some ruler work and intense fill treatments

CarolynMT, you bring up some excellent points. This quilt is intended to be gifted to my supervisor. She is the sole "girl" in a house full of boys! Even the dog is a male. So I wanted something fresh, airy and girly for her. I have never been to her home so I don't know how structured her decor is. She may just opt to keep it in the office with her, as our office gets pretty chilly in the winter time (big old drafty windows in an historic building) and a quilt would be nice to toss over her lap on those brutal sub-zero days. But I want it big enough to use for napping under the sofa at home if she decides that is where she wants to use it. It won't be done for this year's Christmas so I will be gifting it for next year. Gives me plenty of time to decide on quilting designs and even more time to execute. Given everyone's reaction here and the quilting ideas I have for it, I think random will be the way to go. This way I can go with many different motifs and fillers in those triangles but unify it in the sashing bits like Becky did hers.

Thank you everyone for your input to help me make my decision.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
RST

Random. Love this quilt pattern, and I think your fabrics are a great choice.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM

Love the random setting! Your fabrics are beautiful!