Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help re: applique vs. using a machine to stitch it down >

Please help re: applique vs. using a machine to stitch it down

Please help re: applique vs. using a machine to stitch it down

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

sorry, but the stitches don't look huge to me. they look well done. machine stitching blanket stitch would look similar so it's a good job. not everyone can make tiny,tiny hidden stitches or wants to. so for me, it's a good quilting job.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I looked at the pics before I read your post, and I thought that the stitches were done so precisely. It looks like it was planned that way and I actually like it. Someone used the term "folksey" and it fits the pattern.
It's unique - I would not change it.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I have to agree with everyone else. I think it looks fine as is. In fact the only picture you can see the stitches (which are evenly sized and evenly spaced) is the extreme closeup. All your other pictures you can not see them. I suspect when this top is quilted it will be stunning.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

I too must admit when I saw the photograph I thought it was supposed to look like that. It has a naive quality about it, mainly because the appliques themselves are actually quite large. If it were of a more intricate nature, it would be another story. I think you might be pleasantly surprised once it is quilted.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 PM

I love the quilt! It is beautiful. Your MIL obviously took a great deal of time and a lot of effort to make it, especially since it was her first. She must have enjoyed the work and felt proud of it while doing it. The stitches add to its uniqueness.

Like every one else, I would not change them. I would simply quilt it. The final product would be something anyone would be proud of owning.

Whatever you do, it will be a beautiful quilt in the end.

Connie
Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 PM

A little while ago I was looking through a book I got from the library: "Little Quilts All Through the House" by Alice Berg, Mary Ellen Von Holt, and Sylvia Johnson, printed in 1993. I want to make some doll quilts for my granddaughters and this book has a lot of country style, cute, easy quilts, both pieced and appliqued. When I turned to the Applique section, lo and behold, the first stitch described and pictured is very similar to the stitch your MIL used. It's just called the applique stitch and the only difference is that the stitches are shown closer together than on your MIL's quilt top. The section goes on to include needle turning and buttonhole and blanket stitches. I saw your post earlier, so thought I'd share this.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this same stitch used on other appliqued quilts, although I don't remember where. I'm sure they were probably either country or folk style quilts.

I'd love to see pics of the quilt when you finish it.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 AM

Ok, I'm agreeing with what JanRN says.
I like it the way it is!
Don't see anything wrong with the way it's been done. I think it adds character to the quilt and makes it "folksy" as the term was used.
It's a very beautiful quilt and I think the stitches that are on it just adds to the charm of the quilt.
Just my 3 cents worth....
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 AM

Okay....I am waiting for the conclusion or decision of this quilt:)Here's my 2 cents....treasure it the way it is! What if everyone ran in and grabbed up the Gee's Bend quilts and fixed them because we have had the education and they didn't on the exact 'how to'...we would have lost a great treasure!! You hold in your hands history and heart....I find it appealing all in it's own self and a hold on history of someone so determined to make something she was prob never taught. I do vote for leaving it the way it is....sorry:)You prob weren't expecting to hear that. But, her stitches were her own and they are very neat in form too...Skeat
Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 AM

To be honest, I like it the way it is. I think it would be fun to put on a frame in my yard next summer and do it by hand. It wouldn't take that long. Or get some friends to help hand quilt it at a quilting tea or something. You could even have some younger quilters give it a go. I like the folkart of the stitches that show. Gwyn

When I put a quilt in the yard and sit in the shade to work on it, everyone in the neighborhood comes over for at least a stitch or two and some lemonade. When the doctor's offices close for the day at 5:00, a whole crowd of people in scrubs will form in my yard. It is fun.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
To be honest, I like it the way it is. I think it would be fun to put on a frame in my yard next summer and do it by hand. It wouldn't take that long. Or get some friends to help hand quilt it at a quilting tea or something. You could even have some younger quilters give it a go. I like the folkart of the stitches that show. Gwyn

When I put a quilt in the yard and sit in the shade to work on it, everyone in the neighborhood comes over for at least a stitch or two and some lemonade. When the doctor's offices close for the day at 5:00, a whole crowd of people in scrubs will form in my yard. It is fun.
How fun is that Gwyn?!! I could put a frame up in my back yard and end up shooing off chickens for the day!LOL In your situation, you never know where you stitches really lead!:)Skeat