Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use??? >

PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use???

PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use???

Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 AM

Question PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use???

I have a neighbor that ask me to make a quilt with just a night sky & moon. Well that is'nt enough for me so I wanted to use fabric that has grass, trees & sky. I also want to get their house printed on fabric to put in the middle. Now my question is I want to take the tree material & cut it so it looks like rolling hills against the sky. What stitch would you use to attach it to the sky??? I have looked at doing a tighter zig-zag or a blanket stitch. Or can anyone point me in the direction of what to do. Thanks for all the help & advice. I have never done anything like this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]442036[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails james-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I like your creative ideas .........
However, if your neighbour asked you to make the moon and night sky, then I really think you should be keeping to the request. Yes, if the neighbour agrees ... but please don't make it a surprise, otherwise you risk their disappointment, and even worse, perhaps affect your neighbourly friendship.

S/He may have other reasons why the simplicity is desired and that is not for you to decide otherwise.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I like your creative ideas .........
However, if your neighbour asked you to make the moon and night sky, then I really think you should be keeping to the request. Yes, if the neighbour agrees ... but please don't make it a surprise, otherwise you risk their disappointment, and even worse, perhaps affect your neighbourly friendship.

S/He may have other reasons why the simplicity is desired and that is not for you to decide otherwise.
I have to agree with QuiltE on this one. If she had a specific request, why change it?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 AM

I agree also, ask the neighbor if they would like to have more than the moon and sky. Also do they want the ground in the quilt? I made a baby quilt for my SIL and had her show me exactly what she was wanting and it was tooooo simple for me so I drew up a few sketches of what I was thinking. and she said she liked it but the quilt is hanging over the bed instead of being used by the baby. Well I did make it toddler bed size but she ended up getting the bedding set that she had liked. ( I was a little insulted after going to the effort but it is her baby room)

as for what stitch to use I would suggest just sewing the land and sky together. that is what I did with the quilt that I made. I only appliqued the deer to the quilt.

Last edited by sahm4605; 10-19-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Maybe I should have been a little more clear about this. First it is a "He" & he had just had open heart surgery, this was almost a year ago. I was just getting into sewing/quilting. He did ask for something more like I want to do now, but at the time I told him I had no idea what I was doing, & I still don't know much. This is why he said to just make something simple when ever you can. Well a year later I really want to make a quilt closer to what he described. He will be having knee replacement surgery in the next couple of months, so I want him to have something nice & warm while he sleeps in his recliner.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by TnBecky View Post
Maybe I should have been a little more clear about this. First it is a "He" & he had just had open heart surgery, this was almost a year ago. I was just getting into sewing/quilting. He did ask for something more like I want to do now, but at the time I told him I had no idea what I was doing, & I still don't know much. This is why he said to just make something simple when ever you can. Well a year later I really want to make a quilt closer to what he described. He will be having knee replacement surgery in the next couple of months, so I want him to have something nice & warm while he sleeps in his recliner.
for the something soft I would suggest using a minky like fabric for the backing. I wish that I could find a pic of the quilt I made to help explain better but cut the fabric and sew the sky to the land and you can even do it to the house.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
for the something soft I would suggest using a minky like fabric for the backing. I wish that I could find a pic of the quilt I made to help explain better but cut the fabric and sew the sky to the land and you can even do it to the house.
Oh I wish you had a picture too. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
...........I made a baby quilt for my SIL .........she said she liked it but the quilt is hanging over the bed instead of being used by the baby. Well I did make it toddler bed size ...........
Being that you changed the size from what she asked, maybe is the reason why the quilt is hanging?
............. a toddler bed size quilt would be just too big for practical use for a baby. So meanwhile she has hung it ...... and perhaps when the baby gets to the toddle size bed then the quilt will come off the wall.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

If she asked for the night sky, I would stick to that. How about along with the moon, you make it a true night sky in your geographic area. Find a map of the constellations in your hemisphere and depict some of those along with the moon? Ask the neighbor if that would be appropriate.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM

Since he asked for the quilt a year ago, I would check back with him, before changing anything. His tastes may have changed and he may now prefer something different. I would never, ever impose my own taste upon someone else, if asked to make a specific type of quilt. That's pretty much telling the person his/her opinion doesn't matter.

To another poster -
Regarding the baby quilt, your SIL probably didn't want to hurt your feelings, by saying she didn't care for your idea. She sacrificed her own feelings, to avoid hurting yours. You should feel honored, not insulted, that she values your friendship enough, to hang it by the bed.