Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Practice before doing FMQ >

Please Practice before doing FMQ

Please Practice before doing FMQ

Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 PM

That is great advice. I don't think you can determine the particular time needed to learn. Some people pick it up quick and some others need hours and hours of practice. One size don't fit all here.

One detail I am always tempted to say but have bit my tongue is the detail of the machine. We tend to buy a cheap machine to learn with the intention of getting a better one once we know what we are doing. I did it and regreted it. When I took my first and only FMQ class I had to walk out in tears because my machine was not working well. I could sew a straight line, but no FMQ for me. When I was able to get a better machine (not necessarily more expensive) I was able to do it with no problem. I went back to my old one and no way I could. That only proved that the problem was the machine and not me.

It all started working when I got an older Bernina (An 807 for $100.00 refurbished). That machine still works very well, even though I don't use it much.

What I am trying to say is that sometimes no matter how much you practice, how much you adjust tension, stitch length and your speed, the problem may be external. If you are having problems and have a chance to go to a shop and try another machine, do it. It doesn't cost anything. You may be surprised.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 PM

yes, practice is a must. i dont know how many 12" squares i did trying to get it. the backs were horrible. too forever to get the tension set correctly. once i got the machine set, the fmq looked pretty good.. i wrote the settings and the needle i used in sharpie on the top of the machine so i could get to it again. works great now.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM

I spent all evening practicing after watching Leah Day's dvd. She's a great teacher.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the great advice..and confidence booster...as it makes me remember that everyone was a beginner once...
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 AM

Yikes now I'm even more nervous !!!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:23 AM

Yikes now I'm even more nervous !!!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

Great post. I am learning the hard way.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 AM

I have been afraid to try this on my own - thanks for the tips and letting us know that its not as easy as it sounds lol That makes me feel a whole lot better when I mess up :thumbup: :D
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
I was told that it takes at least 12 hours of practice to catch on to FMQ
More like 12 MONTHS for me! :lol: My early attempts were pretty sad, and it was a few months into practicing before I was doing well enough to keep or gift any of my FMQ work. The first piece I gifted was only large enough to make a wallet. Now, about 3 years later, I'm doing everything up to queen size quilts on my Juki domestic (not LA) set up. I takes tons of practice and hard work, but it is sooooooo worth all the effort for me!

The point I'd like to make here is that YOU CAN do FMQ if you are persistent enough. Practice, practice, practice, and use all the books, videos and other web resources you can find. Try lots of different methods. Try lots of different 'teachers', one person's way of doing things will work for some, others will do better with a different method.

Don't be afraid to try new things out and see how they feel to you. Just don't try out new things on a piece of work that is important to you. I always try out new (to me) designs on practice pieces before trying them on something "real". Use tons of practice sandwiches and just go for it. When something turns out well, hang it on your wall or put it in a notebook so you can refer to it later!

The learning curve on FMQ is more difficult than anything new I've tried in YEARS! KEEP AT IT if you want to improve; one day you'll surprise yourself!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I think trying to FMQ without practicing results in F FMQ

Frustrating Free Motion Quilting