Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please stop me from dreaming.... >

Please stop me from dreaming....

Please stop me from dreaming....

Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM

I love the whole quilting making process (except the binding)I give a lot of them away. It makes me feel good deep inside to know I've help someone less fortunate than me. I've learned to that the more you do for the Lord the better your life is. My scrap box is like the woman in the Bible whose flour barrel didn't run out. I've sold a few quilts but I mainly give them away.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM

At some point you won't be able to sleep, because you're planning your next quilt. That means you'd better start sewing if you're ever gonna sleep again. As for making a profit - unlikely, other than the major pat on the back that comes when someone says 'Thankyou!"
Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 PM

I had a lady at work who saw a quilt in a magazine that I was looking at. She loved it, and asked what I would charge her to make one for her. I told her she would have to cover the cost of all fabrics, batting, and then I would charge for the time it took to do it. She had the same reply as others who don't know what it takes to make a quilt, in that she could probably find it elsewhere.

For me, quilting is something I enjoy doing. Just like my crocheting and hand embroidery. I enjoy doing the creative stuff. As someone said in one reply, keep a list of things you want to do. I have been collecting quilt patterns from the internet, quilt magazines, etc. and put them in sheet protectors in a binder. I probably have more projects than I will ever do, but I like having them available when I want to do them.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 PM

And next you will be buying fabric as if all the manufacturers are quitting the business in the next few weeks. You will accumulate tons of the stuff and never have enough to coordinate together, so you keep buying. Make sure you have a BIG empty closet right next to that filing cabinet that holds all your patterns and ideas.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
And next you will be buying fabric as if all the manufacturers are quitting the business in the next few weeks. You will accumulate tons of the stuff and never have enough to coordinate together, so you keep buying. Make sure you have a BIG empty closet right next to that filing cabinet that holds all your patterns and ideas.
:oops: How did you know? ;)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 PM

Welcome to the 'Dark Side'! You will never recover!

As for profitability, all I'll say is this: This is the most fun I've ever had making less than minimum wage.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
Have you been peeking in my quilt room???? :hunf:
Old 12-24-2009, 08:25 AM

You have added an immeasurable dimension to your life. Enjoy the dreaming and the pleasure of creating wonderful quilts :-)
Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to our addiction. I think putting an invisible zipper in an I Spy quilt sounds great.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 AM

Sigh******So many quilts and so little time..... :wink:

I love to make the I Spy quilts (with the fussy cut hexagons) and thought that maybe I could sell the hexagons on Ebay but then I looked at the prices that people are getting for their pre-cut squares and decided it would probably cost me more in time and money than I could profit from selling them. Now, I just enjoy the process and give them to kids that I know would like them. Maybe you could make some doll quilts and sell them. You could still enjoy the process but the time and expense wouldn't be so great that it would discourage people from buying them. Good luck with your dreams :thumbup: