Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Tell Me.... >

Please Tell Me....

Please Tell Me....

Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM

Being fairly new to all of this, what is the Eleanor Burns method?

robin
Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 AM

It is just one person's way of doing things.

Here is her videos on line---have fun!

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns has a lot of quilting books, tv show and website. Her methods are shown on/in all of these :D:D:D
Old 06-19-2011, 07:08 AM

As far as I can make out, she makes everything too big, and cuts it down later to make it perfect. I would never do it that way. I would rather be accurate from the start, but that's just me.

If you mean, "how does she make a quilt in a day?" from what I've read here, it sounds like she may, but you won't. It's more like "quilt in a decade" at times.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 AM

I believe she was one of the pioneers in strip piecing. When you hear the Eleanor Burns way, I think they are referring to using strip piecing to make the top.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Eleanor Burns is one of the pioneers of our quilting revival. Some of our now common techniques were originated by her. I remember watching her years and years and years ago on TV (her set looked like an attic) and she was really trying to show a quilt that could be finished in a day.

She has a unique way of creating flying geese blocks and now has some special rulers to help making the blocks her way. In 1979 she self published a book about log cabin quilts using 2 1/2" strips (I don't know if she was the first to use the 2 1/2" strips, but she sure went to them in a big way) and a way of building blocks by laying them on the strips instead of cutting the strips to length and then sewing them. I still use this book -- even though I have fancier log cabin books.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm working on her Underground Railroad quilt from book by the same name. Some of the techniques are great, and I'm having fun learning different ways to do the piecing. I am having trouble with cutting down to size the pieces that are too big. It seems that she includes a very large "fudge factor". Some of my blocks are the right size and others are much too big. I love the Flying Geese ruler but it took a lot of practice to get the hang of it.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

the EB way could also relate to the way she TOSSES her fabric scraps aside..usually tossing them over her shoulder behind her..

her techniques are what got 99% of the people on this forum HOOKED on quilting in the first place!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I enjoy watching her, but I don't do a lot of her methods. I agree it is quite difficult to make her quilts in a day. Really, I think it was just a neat name for her to use on her first book and it stuck!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Eleanor Burns was one of the first to really demonstrate strip piecing on her show Quilt In A Day. She also shows chain piecing (assembly line sewing) which is a very efficient way to piece. She does make triangle squares larger than the finished size and then trims them.

Her books are the best because she takes the learner step by step. I recommended her books to anyone new to quilting.