Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Points on flying geese (they fly away into the seam) >

Points on flying geese (they fly away into the seam)

Points on flying geese (they fly away into the seam)

Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Points on flying geese (they fly away into the seam)

I am having trouble with the points on my flying geese. First question - do you backstitch at the beginning and end of your quarter inch seam? I did, but it makes it hard to see exactly where the 2 seams intersect. Also, my points are being lost in the seam. Any tutorials or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

no you don't need to back stitch in piecing.
problem is either in cutting or piecing. You must be accurate in both.
Google for tutorial on this.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Which method are you using. I use the no waste one where you get four matching geese at a time. Here's a quick video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoB3...eature=related

And some printable directions that may be clearer to understand:https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Wm0m9JHQvo4cFA
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM

there is a video here on Pam's site that will help. I loved the way the bulk was out of the way.

http://pamsclub.com/index.php
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=irishrose;4866362]Which method are you using. I use the no waste one where you get four matching geese at a time. Here's a quick video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoB3...eature=related

This is the method I use also...as long as you cut accurately and use a scant 1/4" this method works great!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM

sew with the crossed seams on top so you can see them... then you can guide the machine ONE THREAD past the point so that the entire point is still there when you open it up...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Thank you all so much for your help
Old 01-12-2012, 01:56 AM

Wow what a great question - I just finished 24 miserable honking flapping (those words are euphemisms for what I really want to call them!!!) geese, using the waste a little triangle method (which is what the patterns seem to call for) and I have had a terrible time finding exactly the point to put the needle down at the top of the line. Somehow I just can't see it and line it up or it wiggles a nudge. If I dare to chain piece it wiggles away at the end before I can control it. And I have a hard time just drawing a fine line which goes right to the corner because the fabric wiggles away.
As a result, points will never be perfect, often the pieced goose is curved on the top and not the full size at the wing corners, sometimes the bottom of the seam allows a tiny gap between the wings and the goose......
Geese HONK!
Thank you all for the good suggestions and tutes.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 AM
QM
Power Poster

Getting exact seam allowances is crucial, for whatever method you use. I was taught the folded square method (put squares for the 'sky' over rectangles for the'geese'). My teacher said to move the needle 1 thread width away from the goose, to account for the width of the fold. It works for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM

Pin accurately. do not pin on the seam itself. But place the pin straight up and down on the seam and then put a pin either side ( wqhen sewing point to point) Also sew with the point up if possible so you can make sure you are sewing the point correctly.