Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Points >

Points

Points

Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
MommaDorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sully, Iowa
Posts: 2,390
Default Points

I'm working on a pattern with a bunch of 2 1/2" squares. I'm having trouble getting my points to line up. Any tips?

Thanks
MommaDorian is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,235
Default

First are they cut accurately? Do you sew a series of 2 patches first? If so, sew the seam, then press and make sure the edges line up. If you start with them a little bit off, it will only get worse. If you can press the seams in opposite directions, that helps to nest them. Use pins or glue. Not sure what your pattern looks like, but I have better luck if I piece in smaller square chunks rather than long strips.
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM
  #3  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
MommaDorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sully, Iowa
Posts: 2,390
Default

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
First are they cut accurately? Do you sew a series of 2 patches first? If so, sew the seam, then press and make sure the edges line up. If you start with them a little bit off, it will only get worse. If you can press the seams in opposite directions, that helps to nest them. Use pins or glue. Not sure what your pattern looks like, but I have better luck if I piece in smaller square chunks rather than long strips.
Yes, they line up perfectly with each other. I sew a row of 4, then attached those 4 rows in a block of 4x4. I do 5 times, then sew the 5 blocks together to make a row. I tried to use pins, but the blocks are so small I couldn't feed them into my machine without getting poked. I'm working on a pattern than a fellow QB wrote. I'm testing it for her.
MommaDorian is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 02:16 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 2,337
Default

You can put double sided scotch tape on them before you sew and that will hold them in place. Put it lower than you seam line so you don't sew through it.
mucky is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,235
Default

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
Yes, they line up perfectly with each other. I sew a row of 4, then attached those 4 rows in a block of 4x4. I do 5 times, then sew the 5 blocks together to make a row. I tried to use pins, but the blocks are so small I couldn't feed them into my machine without getting poked. I'm working on a pattern than a fellow QB wrote. I'm testing it for her.
Sounds like you are going about the assembly right. Are you alternating the pressing of your seams? The first row of 4 press to the left, then next, press to the right etc., regardless of the light/dark fabric placement. I think you still need to secure it before you sew. If you are having problems with pins, I'd try the glue
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orbiting
Posts: 1,448
Default

This was just on Fons and Porter today. Liz Porter was the guest and Mary Fons was the host. Liz showed Mary a trick. She said make sure the top seam is pointed towards the machine and the bottom seam pointing towards you. That way the machine pushes the seams together forming a perfect point. She had Mary sew several together in chain piecing and all the points were perfectly snug together. They were sewing little four patches.
AlienQuilter is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:26 PM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
MommaDorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sully, Iowa
Posts: 2,390
Default

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
She said make sure the top seam is pointed towards the machine and the bottom seam pointing towards you. That way the machine pushes the seams together forming a perfect point. She had Mary sew several together in chain piecing and all the points were perfectly snug together. They were sewing little four patches.
I'm having trouble picturing this. Could you explain more?
MommaDorian is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cadillac, MI
Posts: 6,487
Default

When you sew the four patch, have the raw edges of the seam on the top facing away from your body and the raw edges of the underneath seam facing your body. The machine pushes the top against the bottom one and the seams butt nicely making a perfect corner. Are you pressing all seams before they are crossed with another? My mother used to say'You sew with your iron, talking about apparel, but I think it applies to quilting, too.
irishrose is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Croydon N.H.
Posts: 131
Default

I agree with all these suggestions...I pin before and after the intersection using very fine silk pins. I sew very carefully over the pins. I never have any problems using this method.
puddingtain is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
MommaDorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sully, Iowa
Posts: 2,390
Default

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
When you sew the four patch, have the raw edges of the seam on the top facing away from your body and the raw edges of the underneath seam facing your body. The machine pushes the top against the bottom one and the seams butt nicely making a perfect corner. Are you pressing all seams before they are crossed with another? My mother used to say'You sew with your iron, talking about apparel, but I think it applies to quilting, too.
Yes, I'm pressing all seams, alternating from pressed to the right on one row and pressed to the right on the row below it. I must be slow tonight. I'm still not picturing your method. How do you have seams going back and front, rather than side to side?
MommaDorian is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
osewme
Main
23
07-31-2018 02:57 PM
tothenci
Links and Resources
6
06-22-2012 10:15 AM
NewsletterBot
Main
3
11-28-2007 08:54 PM
NewsletterBot
Main
3
09-11-2007 07:34 AM
NewsletterBot
Main
2
09-02-2007 05:29 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.