Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Polar Fleece for Design Wall

Polar Fleece for Design Wall

Has anyone tried using polar fleece for a design wall? How well did it work?

I have a maybe 76 x 60 Inch fleece design wall that I have used for probably 17 years. I have no clue if it is polar fleece though. You could just have a piece of cotton fabric and see if it stays on. Good luck!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    I've tried all the things people talk about (fleece, flannel, flannel-backed tablecloths, you name it) and found the stickiest was W&N batting. Even my 100-pound black lab's tail wagging couldn't knock my blocks off, and I can even get full-size, fully assembled quilt tops to stick without pins.

My two concerns about batting are slump and washability? I thought fleece would mitigate those issues, but if it doesn't stick as well, it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I've tried all the things people talk about (fleece, flannel, flannel-backed tablecloths, you name it) and found the stickiest was W&N batting. Even my 100-pound black lab's tail wagging couldn't knock my blocks off, and I can even get full-size, fully assembled quilt tops to stick without pins.
    Thanks for this tip Peggi. I've been trying different things and have not been pleased.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltergeek View Post
    My two concerns about batting are slump and washability? I thought fleece would mitigate those issues, but if it doesn't stick as well, it's not worth it.
    Yes, I've used fleece for years! And highly recommend it over other options.

When I decided it was time for a design wall, I tried all sorts of options, taping them to the wall.
    My end decision was that the fleece held the fabric better and easier, than any of the others.
    And with No Pins!!! That was important to me.
    I put the piece of fabric or block or quilt on, and give it a slight pat to hold in place.

I have even hung fully assembled quilt tops, without any pins!
    Though I do usually put a few in if I am leaving it there for any length of time ...... Just.In.Case!

If the fleece gets littered with threads, I just take a lint brush and swipe it off.
    Not a brush ... one of those ones that one direction it picks up the lint, and the other wipes it off.

A bonus of fleece ... extra wide.
    (yes, other options are wide too)

My largest and permanent design wall is 10x7-1/2ft covered with black fleece.
    Another semi-permanent has white fleece, about 6x7-1/2ft.
    Then several portables from 4x2ft down to 12" square!

As for it being polar fleece?? ... I really do not know how to tell the difference of fleece types.

QuilterGeek ... if you have any other questions, ask away as I am happy to share!
    I know not everyone agrees with using fleece, but these are my experiences.
    As you can tell, I am more than pleased ..... and wonder how I ever quilted without them.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 04-02-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    My batting has been on the wall for about 4-5 years, no slump at all. I've never had the need to wash it. To remove strings and threads, I brush it with a rubber pet brush.

Mine is fleece, but not polar. Works very well.

Mine is Malden Mills, I'm pretty sure. It's the thick (1/4") kind, and it looks like it has a layer in the middle, with kind if brushlike pile on one side and thinner on the other. It's on the wall thin side up, and stuff sticks really well.

Polar fleece will not work. It is a deeper pile than some fleeces. I use Warm and Natural Batting. I also have one of the Design Wall's that I like since it is portable.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried using polar fleece for a design wall? How well did it work?
    I have found that two large plastic, flannel backed table clothes (duct taped together) and held on my wall with Blue Painter tape works as well as anything others have. Cheap, easy and they last a long time. I clean them now and again by ironing a piece of freezer paper on them (still on the wall) and it takes off a bunch of the threads. Many of my friends are now doing the same thing.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I've found flannel works fairly well, needing only an occasional pin (one caveat - my boards lean against the wall so the angle may be helping matters).

I covered two 8x4 insulation boards as others on this site have suggested. I'll have to try out some W&N batting. I am working on an approx. 2x2 applique with dozens of pieces so could test it out on a smaller design board.

I don't have to deal with dog tails but, I have found my male kitten likes to climb to the top of my design board. Gah!

I had to put the second panel facing the other so he's only climbing the back. Not very useful as I can't layout an entire design without someone standing guard. : )

If I resort to using the bed or floor the other cats (we have 6 total) take notice and all come over to sit on whatever I've put down.

Oh well, life in an open loft with curious critters. : )
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

Blog Entries
    Jackie,

What a great tip to get the threads off your design wall. I will have to try that next time mine gets linty.

I also love your signature line, I woudl sub in cats and dogs or Kaffe for Scrappy, but chocolate and wine make my heart sing.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.