Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poll Question:  What's your favorite part of making a quilt? >

Poll Question: What's your favorite part of making a quilt?

Poll Question: What's your favorite part of making a quilt?

Old 09-14-2019, 05:38 AM

My favorite part is piecing a block. I am not always perfect but seeing the block come together from a piece of fabric into some specific part is as beautiful to me as the Mona Lisa.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:41 AM
bj

I love it when what I see in my head actually works and looks good in reality. And I love gifting it to someone who loves it.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Funny, my favorite part is whatever phase I am in at the time! I am in my happy place in every aspect of the quilting process, from selecting pattern and fabric to taking that final stitch on the label (but sometimes that point can be bittersweet, especially if the making has brought me a lot of joy). I sometimes burn out if the quilt was an exceptionally detailed longarming job so then I can't wait to get into piecing mode or starting a new quilt. I even love prewashing and ironing the new fabric, it is like getting to enjoy it all over again after buying it. I can't say I have a favorite part of the process because it changes with my mood and mind set. This is probably why I have so many UFO and WIPs. While some may sit for years, even decades I do return to them. Although now that I really think about it, I do really love sharing my finished project with other quilters and when a complex completed quilt turns out exactly like envisioned it.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 AM

Designing it, even if it’s a kit as I’ll change it up. Then picking fabrics is right up there.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 AM

I love when the blocks have been finished and sewn together into a completed top. This is when I get a chance to see the flow of the pattern and play of the colors.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 AM

Hands down - FMQ!!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 AM

Oh wait - best part? Pulling the quilt out of the dryer and its all crinkly and DONE! I don't prewash anything and its always a thrill to pull out a warm completed quilt. Best part ever!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM

This is a really hard question that I've thought about many times. My quick answer is that I love piecing the quilt. It reminds me of watching a Polaroid picture transform in front of your eyes. But, I think I love the challenges the most. There's the challenge of finding the perfect fabric, the challenge of getting everything to match up correctly so the picture in your head becomes the quilt in front of you, the challenge of the quilting (oh, that's my biggest challenge) and finally the challenge of the finish..... everything exactly as you planned. If I didn't feel the challenge I'd get bored and find something else to do.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:43 AM

It's not the one I finished last week or last year, or the one I'm working on. It's the one I'm planning in my head. Then of course I love to spend money on pretty fabric.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:52 AM

My favorite part of making a quilt is putting the pieces of a block together and seeing the results. I also really enjoy hand sewing the binding on and this means I am almost finished and can move onto another project.