Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
poly or 80/20 batting? >

poly or 80/20 batting?

poly or 80/20 batting?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 AM

I'm thinking about what I should use for Logan's twin quilt. I have some 80/20 batting here and then I have medium loft poly and I'm not sure which I should use. I wanted to just put lines through the Irish chain design and then a shamrock in the spaces (or feathers or something simple) so I need something that doesn't need alot of quilting.

I like the fact that the medium loft poly will give it a fluffy look, but will that be too warm in the south? It gets cool here in the winter but he wants to use it all the time (he's 3 so even if he's sweaty he will use it if mommy made it) LOL He's so excited to use it but I don't want him to get all sweaty.

So what do you think? Would the 80/20 be better even though it's low loft?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Are both battings in their packaging? If so, check and see what the recommended distance is between quilting lines. You need a batting that will hold up for the distance you plan to quilt. If there is going to be relatively little quilting, I don't think either of these battings would hold up well to multiple washing. In that case, I would consider using Warm n Natural.

Just off-the-cuff, I think most 80/20 and poly battings require quilting every 4 inches (maybe 6). WnN can handle quilting lines up to 10 inches or so apart.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

I must be the only one who does not like Warm and Natural. It was hard for me to quilt and makes a heavy quilt. I love the poly-cotton. Makes a light quilt and keeps you warm not hot.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM

can flannel be used as batting? would that make the quilt lighter weight. and will it hold up. has anybody ever done this. i too live in FL and find my quilts a little heavy.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Are both battings in their packaging? If so, check and see what the recommended distance is between quilting lines. You need a batting that will hold up for the distance you plan to quilt. If there is going to be relatively little quilting, I don't think either of these battings would hold up well to multiple washing. In that case, I would consider using Warm n Natural.

Just off-the-cuff, I think most 80/20 and poly battings require quilting every 4 inches (maybe 6). WnN can handle quilting lines up to 10 inches or so apart.
darn! all the batting I have says 2-4" for rec quilting. I didn't even look at that! I guess I will add some stippling around the shamrocks then LOL
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by lizzy
I must be the only one who does not like Warm and Natural. It was hard for me to quilt and makes a heavy quilt. I love the poly-cotton. Makes a light quilt and keeps you warm not hot.
ok cool I'll use the 80/20 then thank you :) yes I agree the Warm and Natural seems heavy to me too. I made my son a lap quilt with it and it's nice and heavy which i like for that quilt but i can't imagine how heavy a twin bed quilt would be if it were made with that.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 AM

The problem with W/N is it is so heavy. I think a youngster would find a softer, lighter quilt better.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Judith1005
can flannel be used as batting? would that make the quilt lighter weight. and will it hold up. has anybody ever done this. i too live in FL and find my quilts a little heavy.
Lots of people use flannel as batting. Because it shrinks so much, it's a good idea to wash and dry it *twice* before layering.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM

Quilters Dream Cotton in the "request" weight is perfect for the south. (I live in North Georgia.) I have quilted many projects in the manner you are suggesting and have no problems with quilting lines as far as 8" apart; the manufacturer says you can quilt up to 10" apart. Connecting Threads has it online if you don't have a vendor nearby.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by lizzy
You aren't. I've never used it because I don't like the feel on the bolt or in the quilts at the quilt quild. I usually use a medium priced polyester, but have used cotton/poly for quilts going to Iraq or Afghanistan. I will probably do the same for the one going to South Carolina. I also am not a fan of the crinkled look, so I carefully preshrink my cotton/poly batts. One didn't do well. It will be cut up for baby quilts, but the others have survived.