Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is Poly/cotton mix fabric safe for baby quilt?

I went to the store to get a little more of the pink fabric I bought to use on a baby quilt I'm making. I have the quilt all quilted and just needed more to use for binding.

I realized when I picked up the bolt tonight, that some of the fabric I used for borders and the backing, is a poly/cotton mix. :shock:

I'm usually VERY careful and only get 100% cotton. Guess I wasn't thinking that day. Dang! :thumbdown: :?

So I need to know, is poly/cotton fabric ok to use in a quilt that will be used in a baby crib?

HELP?????? :roll: :cry:

Thanks for any knowledge or info you have on this. I HATE to think that I'll have to tear out all of my fmq and start all over. This panel quilt has driven me crazy for months, and I thought I finally had the thing close to being done.....I'm not sure I can find a replacement for the panel, and I really do NOT want to tear out all of my fmq!

O please tell me, it'll be safe to use.............please..........

My kids certainly wore clothes that were not 100% cotton. Many crib sheets are not 100% cotton, and many store bought bedding sets are not 100% cotton or contain poly batting. I think it would be okay.

We'll see what others say.

I guess the only concern could be fire hazard, but, again, most store bought sets have poly somewhere in them, too.

My kids slept under 'store bought' poly/cotton quilts and sheets. They all managed to survive and thrive.

Don't worry! The baby won't know the difference!

Most of my kids clothing and blankets had some poly in them did just fine.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry about it, cotton/poly pajamas and bedding are still being sold today :wink: and the fire retardant properites wear off after so many launderings anyway... long before the garments have worn out.

Blog Entries
    It's fine.

Just keep in mind, poly-cotton doesn't shrink. Don't mix 100% cotton with the poly-cotton.

Awesome - thanks! :XD: I knew I could depend on you guys.

Only problem I see now is, the panel may be 100% cotton. I didn't pre-wash it. So that may cause problems. But, it's all quilted and we'll see.....

You guys made me feel Sew much better. :thumbup: :-D

Martha