Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester batting >

Polyester batting

Polyester batting

Old 01-05-2020, 06:01 AM

Default Polyester batting

I am needing help on polyester batting. I have a 85 year old Aunt that hand quilts and also quilts on a treadle sewing machine. She loves thick batting and All she can find locally she complains is to thin. I want to get her a roll for her upcoming birthday but also don’t want it to break my bank. Any suggestions on what I need to look for? What I have seen her use in the past is like a inch thick. All help would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Hi, and welcome to the Quiltingboard. The loftiest poly I know of is Fatt Batt by Mountain Mist but it is nowhere near 1" thick, more like 1/2" which is about twice the thickness of Hobbs Poly down. I have used Fatt Batt for tied quilts but unless you do big stitch quilting I can't imagine how it is possible to get tiny hand quilting stitches with such a thick batting unless to quilt one stitch at a time (as opposed to rocking the needle and loading up to 8 stitches on the needle before pulling the thread through). I just tried searching for it on line and came up empty so it may be discontinued. Quilters Dream also makes a high loft poly called Dream Puff that is also 1/2" thick. I have never used this product from QD but I have loved every other batting of theirs that I have tried. While looking for the Fatt Batt I also stumbled on Fairfield Polyfil hi loft which is also described as being 1/2" thick. I have had mixed results with Fairfield battings, they tend to be an economy brand so I feel their quality is inconsistent. This is MHO and my experience only so your results may vary. Rather than buying her a roll, why not just buy a package of a couple different types to see what she likes.
Here is an amazon link to the fairfiled hi loft. https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-Pol...234406&sr=8-26

Edited to add there are very high loft polyester products intended for the upholstery industry, these are available in rolls only to my knowledge. I can't attest to how viable they are for quilting.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-05-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 AM

Try googling Pellon HL3R-9630 Quilt Batting I have not used it but it's a roll of high loft, 96" wide, 30 yards. One thought before purchasing, what size quilts does she usually make. You might want to get something in that size width.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:59 AM

How wide are her typical projects? I'm finding there is a quite thick batt (and it is a tad too thick for me who likes them thick) that's about the width of a twin that I can get at Joann as yardage (not prepackaged). I can get the info if that will work. I prefer less quilting and a thicker batt than is currently popular, which tends toward Warm & Natural (which is soooo heavy to me) and heavy quilting.

For my queen sized projects I bought a close out roll from a discount site on line that I'm pretty darn happy with, but it isn't anything I can get again. I think it was end stock from a commercial run. Extra wide and something like 25 yards delivered for under $150 but it was a risk, happy it worked out for me. I do a lot of donation project so it would have been used.

Batting goes by the weight, but you also have to look at the size of the batt, I wish there was a better standard like weighing a square yard/meter. Anyway, if you go to Walmart and look at their "thick" pellon it looks pretty good on line and the weight seemed good, it was much less in person, could read through it. That weight was along the 108" width, it would have be thick at 48" but not double that. No offense to the stuff, I know some people like it a lot but I'd be like your Aunt.

Here's a couple of projects using that batt that's a little too thick for my tastes.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5339.jpg   daisy-top.jpg   every-way.jpg  
Old 01-05-2020, 07:52 AM

I've recently come across information on Hobbs Cloud Loft, which apparently is 5/8 in. thick. I've used other Hobbs battings, and have always been satisfied with them.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You may want to check out the batting by the yard at JAF. They carry 3 different weights on the by the yard bolts. I usually get the medium one any more and it is perfect for the quilts I do with a poly batting. The thicker weight is to thick IMHO.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:43 AM

I got poly batting at Hobby Lobby, I put two together and it came our nice and cushy. This was on a King size ( 108X108)
Old 01-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I don't hand quilt anymore but I only buy high loft polyester batting for FMQ.

Welcome from Missouri.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:32 PM

I bought her some last year at Joann’s in Kingsport TN. I didn’t pay attention to what kind it was it was thicker than what we can get here in east KY. It was 96” wide and on a roll. She pieces tops either by hand or on her treadle machine and then usually tie’s the quilt. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I will just try and get her to go with me to Tennessee to Joann’s and let her pick some out.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

sounds good. write it down somewhere too, just in case you need more like it one day.