Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester or cotton? >

Polyester or cotton?

Polyester or cotton?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Can someone tell me if its allright to use polyester thread for sewing the material together for quilts. I accidentally bought 4 reels of it and up until now have always used 100% cotton only, as I choose to use cotton fabrics.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Many long armers use poly thread to quilt, so I don't have a problem using it to piece :D It is made better now than years before, so unless you are a purist, go for it :D:D:D
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Cotton shrinks when it's washed. Polyester doesn't. I don't think there will be a problem with the piecing. It's a personal preference. The thread I have been piecing with is "All-Purpose" Dual Duty which is cotton covered polyester. I have never had any problems.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
RST

I use poly blends, poly, cotton, whatever. The only times I've had trouble with any threads are when they are very old -- they get brittle then.

If you're concerned, use it in a little project, subject it to a lot of washing and drying, and see how it holds up.

RST
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Yes Polyester is fine to sew and quilt with. There is great information on this very point , on the Superior Threads web site. He discusses this under the top thread myths here is the quote

" Q. Will polyester thread tear my quilt?
A. This is the most common and worst myth in the quilting world. It is perfectly fine to use polyester thread in your quilt. Some cotton threads are stronger than polyester threads. Most T-shirts are sewn with polyester thread (I called Hanes Company and asked them) and I've never had a seam thread rip through my T shirt. "