Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester thread for machine quilting? Leah Day suggests it >

Polyester thread for machine quilting? Leah Day suggests it

Polyester thread for machine quilting? Leah Day suggests it

Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Default Polyester thread for machine quilting? Leah Day suggests it

I watched a video last night from Leah Day and she said that's all she uses for machine quilting. She said that cotton thread broke every time she used it.
Since I'm not trying to get better at FMQ it interested me. I was wondering what your experiences have been.
I'm quilting on a Juki TL2010Q.
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

i use all kinds of thread for quilting... luckily my Juki is not fussy
Old 04-20-2019, 05:32 AM

You can use whatever you like! I prefer polyester in my midarm , as there's less lint getting into bobbin area. Glide is nice...available now in a matte finish.You can even use thick, showy thread in your bobbin , and quilt with back of project on top for fancy " bobbin work" ! ( though a spare bobbin case set to looser tension is reccomended for that).
Old 04-20-2019, 05:33 AM

SusieQOH,

I use Isacord which Leah uses. It’s wonderful. I also use Glide. It gives a bit of sheen to the stitches ;it makes your fmq look rich. I also use Superior micro quilter on busy fabric where I don’t want the quilting to distract from the fabric.

EXperiment with different threads until you find what you like. Remember to pair your needle size with the thread weight.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I love poly thread for quilting and use it almost exclusively in my LA. I prefer the look of a shiny thread and I do get a lot of lint with cotton. This is more of a problem with LA than DSM because they work at much higher speeds than a DSM. I don't shun cotton, I will use it if the color is just right and I adore experimenting with threads. So I do use many different fibers and weights. It all depends what I am doing and what look I am going for. It is not uncommon for me to use several different types and weights of threads on a single quilt. I would suggest you explore all your options when it comes to thread.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
SusieQOH,

I use Isacord which Leah uses. It’s wonderful. I also use Glide. It gives a bit of sheen to the stitches ;it makes your fmq look rich. I also use Superior micro quilter on busy fabric where I don’t want the quilting to distract from the fabric.

EXperiment with different threads until you find what you like. Remember to pair your needle size with the thread weight.
JanieW- yes, she recommends Isacord. I forgot to mention that. Do you know a good place to buy it?
I was surprised when I watched the video. I don't know much about machine quilting,much less which thread
to use! I thought everyone used cotton.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 AM

Susie,
I’m in Canada so don’t know where a good source for Isacord would be for you. I buy it from my awesome sewing machine dealer as I like to support them. Hopefully someone in the US can tell you where to buy.

I hope you get some and give it a try. Let us know what you think.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Susie,
I’m in Canada so don’t know where a good source for Isacord would be for you. I buy it from my awesome sewing machine dealer as I like to support them. Hopefully someone in the US can tell you where to buy.

I hope you get some and give it a try. Let us know what you think.
Thanks, JanieW- I just bought some on Leah's site and the price and shipping were very reasonable. I'll let you know when I get it.
I love Canada- my in-laws had a camp on the St. Lawrence and we went into Ontario many times. But I want to see more of your lovely country.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 AM

I haven't tried anything but King Tut cotton with my HandiQuilter. I like the results, and the idea of cotton thread with cotton fabric is appealing to my orderly brain. I suppose I might experiment in the future, but right now my focus is on improving my FMQ skills rather than experimenting with thread.

I wonder why Leah had the problem with cotton thread breaking.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:51 AM

I use any kind of thread too. My machine isn’t picky about thread. I prefer polyester. It’s less lint.