Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Popularity of hexagon quilts >

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM

I have one in a box under the edge of my bed. Right now I am just basting the fabric to the hexies. I only work on it in short spurts. It will be jut to get to the time when I am sewing them together.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 PM

I think I will pass on hexagons. Perhaps one of these days, when I have more time to be frustrated.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. How did you apply the green border. From what I'm reading most people applique the hexagon edge to the border. I have a finished GFG top that my grandmother put together about 60 or 70 years ago. I want to finish the top and will probably have a friend machine quilt it. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 AM

I have the go baby and love it for circles, hexis and small squares and apple core. These are all time consuming when done by hand. So, Go Baby has been wonderful! Detest EPP. For those who do...have you considered printing your hexi papers on cardstock on home printers? Or is there a value in cutting your papers on a Go Baby and enlarge the fabric pattern by the seam allowance all round. Since I enjoy hand quilting and needle turn hand applique, that is the technique I use for basting curves and hexis, checking for accuracy of 1/4" frequently. Definitely my go to​ project when relaxing in recliner or on the go. The pictures posted have given me inspiration and a motive for a bed size quilt. Have just been making them randomly with no end project in mind.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 AM

I have been in love with Hex's since i was 16 and my Aunt 1st introduced me to quilting. My first quilt is my Avatar. I made this one outlining the hexie to the back of the fabric and then sewing them on the line. You don't see the threads this way since you're making a seam vs a overlap stitch like in EPP. This one took me 9 months to complete, I am now using PP with another one, and it is not a flower one, but I buy the PP's online already cut out and use all my left over 2.5 candy squares for the fabric. I guess it's like crochet or knitting. We are using our hands while idle. Since it's never cold enough often down here it makes more sense to make these vs knitting or crocheting. I do know how to crochet, but just never found it as interesting a doing these little hex's. As far as the quilting on a EPP quilt, IMHO, only hand quilting would do it justice. If I am going to spend that much time on putting something together, I want the end to be just as time intense as the beginning. It goes fairly quilt to hand quilt one of these, since all you need is 1/4 inch in the inside of each hexie and it makes a beautiful quilt. Glad people are keeping this one beautiful piece alive.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:22 AM

Am now working on my second GFG...first one I used freezer paper as mentioned prior...this time with help of my GO and Fiskar paper punch, I am using card stock, old index cards, etc.........for the template. Next project will be Lucy Boston with the help of PaperPieces.com....have also purchased and tried ( like it) Mickey Depre's more modern hexies......they are fun to create.

Along with my attempt at cathedral window......cheating...doing the whole thing with sewing machine, not by hand.....now this is more intense to me than GFG!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i love english paper piecing! i enjoy the process- love the precision from basting fabrics around the papers-then joining into blocks- it is a great portable project i can put together a little tin with every thing i need to create multiple blocks when ever i just want something to do- traveling, waiting, watching tv. one of my all time favorite hand projects.
Me too....it's very portable!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I have normally used the plastic templates that you pop out. Bought a Fiskar Hex paper cutter so trying the fast method using glue stick with keeping the fabric in place then removing when all six sides have been stitched.