Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these?

Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these?

I was at the MQS show this week and saw these. I hadn't seen them before. I have to admit I thought they were pretty clever. I was curious if anyone on here had one and what they thought about them.

http://stores.palsproducts.com/-strs...ith/Detail.bok

Oh my, that's a little pricey!! It looks like an old movie screen that people used to have for showing home movies. I think I could adapt an old screen without too much difficulty. But, it really isn't large enough for a bed sized quilt... only a wall hanging. I guess I'd just hang a piece of flannel on a curtain for that.

Sorry I'm sounding a little negative..... just seems like it wouldn't fit my needs and too much $$ for what it is.

My husband and I just made a permanent design wall that is 8'x 8'. It could be easily made smaller and temporary. We bought four pink insulation boards(2'x8'), glued them on the basement wall and covered by batting. Cost total for the foam boards, concrete to foam adhesive and batting $75 - 85. I have a smaller portable design wall that is 48"x48" made out of a pink foam insulation board cut in half and held together using duct tape. It is also covered with cotton batting, and the cost was $0 since I used the stuff we already had, but it would be about $20 if you we're buying the supplies. The cheapest method by far is buying a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth and pinning it to your wall.

When I want to use a design wall, I hand a piece of flannel on a dowel between two wreath hangers which are hanging from the doors of a double closet. Works for me.

They're all too small for me (and bulky to store and expensive!!) I use a king size flat flannel sheet. I often pin it to the curtains, but it could be tacked to the wall, too, or hung on a curtain rod.

I have one of these. I use it some, but I purchased largest one. I have to set it up in living room. They come in different sizes.

mltquilt

Fons and Porter's website had a portable design wall. It cost me under $25.00,it is gridded so that I can keep the quilt nice and even. I bought some of the Command portable hooks that you can put on the wall and take off with no residue.I really like it. I don't have space to put a permanent design wall and unless I win the lottery tonight, I won't have anytime in the future. I kept the bag it came in and when I'm done with it, I store it back in the bag.

I have a similar one that I use. I LOVE IT! It is large and does take up some room, but to me it is worth it.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

I have one by Cheryl Ann's Design Wall, but it is pricey too. http://www.cherylannsdesignwall.com/index.html
    But it does fit in a small bag for storage and carrying.

I have a make your own design wall. It is amazing how much a person uses one if you have it. Unfortunately my cats think it is a climbing wall so when I get it out they have to play on it first.

Banned
    I must be cheap. I purchase 3 plastic flannel back tablecloths (Wally World). One I use for lap size quilts, the other two I sewed together and use for larger quilts. If I need them to be portable, just fold and roll up.

Blog Entries
    I think that is a nice product. Pricey? Have you bought a large roll up shade recently? I bought a roll up shade for big window and it was about the same price and didn't come with a stand. LOL
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I saw the. Portable design walls a few years ago at NEC Birmingham UK.
    At that time it looked very flimsy although I did think it was an excellent IDEa.
    Has it been made steadier.
    Finished is better than a UFO

IAt my quilters guild that I just joined, some put a flannel backed table cloth up with painters tape.
    I tried that at home but the tape didn't stick to the flannel after a couple hours and I found it laying on the floor but the tape did stay on the wall. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygram View Post
    IAt my quilters guild that I just joined, some put a flannel backed table cloth up with painters tape.
    I tried that at home but the tape didn't stick to the flannel after a couple hours and I found it laying on the floor but the tape did stay on the wall. Any ideas what I did wrong?
    Sounds like a good idea. Could you just use a couple stright pins and pin the tape to the flannel?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by humbird View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. Could you just use a couple stright pins and pin the tape to the flannel?
    Sounds like a good ideA. Just take a flannel sheet or one small item I use just for a block is a jigsaw base to keep pieces safe I works just as well.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I'll give the pins a try. Thanks

Love the idea of wreath holders and a dowel rod.. I have three sets of french doors and could use that when the quilters meet at my house. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I just made one from the directions on Pat Speth's site Nickle Quilts. It uses a folding cardboard dressmaker pattern board and curtain rods. Very easy to make and set up and it folds up for storage. Very inexpensive to make too. Sorry I don't know how to link the site but it is worth looking at.

I have a design wall that I made with sytrofoam board covered with flannel..... it became such a catch all for various blocks I took it down.. it currently resides in the guest bedroom ....... until I determine if I want to give it another chance... It's not lookiing for good for it... I'll stick with a sheet I think

I just tack up a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth and use it.

Blog Entries
    If money wasn't a problem and I really needed something portable - maybe. But I think it's too expensive and too small.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    A couple years ago, Michaels was having a sale on artists canvas. Bought the biggest one they had and covered it in flannel and hung it on one wall.

I use the bed in our guest bedroom, lol. Cover it with a plan sheet and lay it out. Works perfect for me.

I saw directions on a blog recently for making smaller design boards. The insulation panels are available in smaller widths-- maybe 18" X 4', with tongue and groove slots for interlocking. Apply batting (or flannel) on the front side using spray adhesive, trim to reveal the slots, and mount to the wall with 3M Command strips. You can add or take away boards as needed.
    Elizabeth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast