Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable Sewing Machines? >

Portable Sewing Machines?

Portable Sewing Machines?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Wow! Getting all this advice is just great. I think I really blew it today--I was at a moving sale and found an old Singer Featherweight 221 in pretty fair condition for $20, but my husband talked me out of it. Now I'm kicking myself around the block. But I'm sure something will turn up--and I'm really glad to hear about the Janome and the Brother machines.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
I would kill for a featherweight for classes and travel but bought (settled, that is) a Brother CSI6000 small, light weight and sews great.
I recently purchased this same machine from Amazon. Took it out of town this weekend and loved it. I use a Baby Lock at home but this Brother's was more than I expected.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Last year, I bought a Janome Jem Gold for the same reasons you mention - classes/retreats. Love my Bernina, but that thing is heavy, and it's a pain to have to pack it all up, then put it back.

Anyhow, I do NOT recommend the Gold. It's not a computerized machine and honestly, after using the Bernina, the Gold stitches were awful. As it isn't computerized, you can't adjust stitch length much, and the stitches built in were either too long or to short for my liking.

This fall, I joined a yahoo group called SewItsForSale, where you can buy or sell sewing items - fabric, notions, books, machines. I bought a Janome Jem Platinum and LOVE it. It had been lightly used by somebody who was upgrading.

It is a lot smaller than the Bernina - no way will I be quilting on this - and not as powerful. Where my Bernina will go over/through anything, this definitely balks at super thickness (tote bags/purses are fine - layers of denim not so much). For piecing, it is perfect.

Long story short, I'd look for a Janome, but not the Gold. While mine is a 760, they also have Platinum 720. If the new price is higher than you want, look around for a good used one. The yahoo group seems to have them advertised a couple of times a month.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 AM

i have the platinum also..and it is a great little machine..but it runs around 500 bucks. yes, if you can afford it, get the platinum.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM

I have the Brother CS6000i as a travel and class machine and I've been extremely pleased with it. It gets great reviews on Pattern Review and is very reasonable on Amazon :)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I have the Janome Gem Gold, the older model. It has never given me a problem. It's basic, straight and zig zag. Brother and Janome portables use the same feet at least the Brothers and Janomes we have at guild do. Kenmore machines are made by White who makes Janome. You can find portable Kenmores and Janomes at Sears. I have a Featherweight but sometimes it is too small for the job.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I would like one too. Really want a FW.........
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

I have Janome Jem Gold and Jem Platinum - love them both
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laura22
I have the Brother CS6000i as a travel and class machine and I've been extremely pleased with it. It gets great reviews on Pattern Review and is very reasonable on Amazon :)
Thanks for the advice--sounds like several folks have good luck with this machine. I will give it a look.