Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Possibly decision time...time to upgrade? Soliciting all your opinions! >

Possibly decision time...time to upgrade? Soliciting all your opinions!

Possibly decision time...time to upgrade? Soliciting all your opinions!

Old 04-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Rhonda, you're a cool cat.

I never really considered a Pfaff. I wonder if there's one in my future. The only thing I care about in life is an accurate seam! This is getting interesting.

Last edited by littledentist; 04-25-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:50 PM

Are we talking about a need to get an accurate straight stitch here? If that's the case, why not get a good mechanical straight stitch machine? Or am I missing something?

Jim
Old 04-25-2020, 08:39 PM

I bought the 570 for the same reasons you listed. I didn't think I needed a new machine, because my 153QE served me very well, but I got pulled in by the idea of the BSR and the dual feed. While I like some of the new features, like the larger bobbin and the better lighting, I find the wider feed dogs contribute to my seams going wonky. I finally found that using my #1 foot and moving the needle 4 places to the right resulted in a pretty darn good scant ¼" seam. I rarely use the dual feed, and I haven't quilted anything on it yet, even though I've had it for 2 years. I found the manual to be nearly useless. It is hard to find any help in it, and half of it is devoted to machine embroidery, which I have no interest in. This machine is truly a sewing computer, although it seems to be more computer than my older one. The throat space is only about 1 inch wider than the 153, so I don't think it will be that much more help for my quilting.

For the last 1-2 years, I have been using a clapper on my seams, and I am really pleased with how flat they are.

I hope some of this is helpful to you.

Leslie
Old 04-25-2020, 09:19 PM

Most of my stitching is piecing quilts. For 95% of my sewing a straight stitch is all I need. I've had a Brother Novelle 1500S for more than 30 yrs. It has a pin just behind the pressure foot and between the feed dog that acts like dual feed. (The mechanical Janome doesn't have this pin.) I don't pin seams. Because it's straight stitch only, the hook mechanism is different than a zig-zag machine. The seam is truely straight no slightly slanted thread. The price is less than $1000. It has a longer and higher harp for free motion quilting. I also have a Bernina 750 for all the fancy stuff. It has a steep learning curve.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:13 PM

Wow, Petthefabric, you could very well be my savior. I never, ever noticed that or used that setting because that was my first ever machine and I still have it set up. I'll be officially astounded if this makes a difference!!!!!!

Last edited by littledentist; 04-25-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:03 AM

I've tried other brands, but for me it's the Pfaff with the IDT. Once you have it and get use to it, (at least for me), it was hard to use anything else.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:42 AM

Since you already have the Brother PQ1500s why not use that for piecing? After I started using mine for piecing My accuracy improved a lot. I don’t pin as that decreases my accuracy for some reason.

Rob
Old 04-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I went to a piecing class years ago. Can't remember the instructor's name but she had several big award quilts at the time. She told us to use a walking foot to piece. She always pieced with it. It works for most all machines without dual feed which not many had at that time.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:39 AM

Petthefabric, this definitely made a difference. I can't believe it! I'm fairly certain that half of the people that own this machine are not aware of that setting or at least use it for optimal accuracy. I have tried walking foots and everything (for both my 350 and my 1500) and for only 2 pieces of fabric, it made absolutely no difference. Kind of a head scratcher but in this science experiment, those were the results. I guess I can always upgrade but for now, the beast is asleep. I'm very thankful for this board, angels everywhere!
Old 04-26-2020, 02:38 PM

Very happy my advise was useful. And it saved you $$$ and frustration.