Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
possilbe solution for stolen quilts, anyone tried this? >

possilbe solution for stolen quilts, anyone tried this?

possilbe solution for stolen quilts, anyone tried this?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Our charity quilts do not have our names on the label. Since you never know where they might end up, we've started putting small labels sewn to the batting..just our name, city and the date. It doesn't interfer with the charity intended but it is a record of who actually did the quilt. Some of them are very beautifully done. I think this is a good thing to do on every quilt.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 AM

WE suggest that you sew your name and date of creation inside the backing. Then if you ever have a quilt stolden, you can tell the police about it, and the thief will be exposed.

Lanny
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM

[quote=Jan in VA]I saw this on the news this morning and thought it would be a great idea for the major shows to use to protect our quilts!

"Those oh-so-fluffy hotel towels may seem hard to resist taking home, but guests who do so should know that new technology might be tracking that linen straight to their doorsteps. Linen Technology Tracking, a Miami company, has patented a washable RFID chip that can be sewn into towels, robes and bed sheets. The chip allows hotels to keep track of their linens, reducing loss and helping with inventory."
======================
HOW DO WE GET SOME OF THOSE? If ANYONE at all can answer this, I'm positive that all over the world quilters will rejoice and instantly send off for them.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 AM

[quote=Johanna Fritz]
Originally Posted by bluteddi
THEY'D STILL, JUST SAY, JICKED IT UP FROM A GARAGE SALE OR SOMETHING....
sad sad sad
"IMHO You are better off taking a photo- close up and detail of the quilt, and of you quilting the quilt. No two quilts are exactly the same. Someone I know has a "signature" fabric that is in all of her quilts. It is something she picked up long ago, and always puts the smallest piece in it somewhere (even if only the binding). That way she can pick it out. I made an heirloom once and buried an info tag (fabric written with perma fabric fine point pen) inside the upper left corner of the binding. I also took pictures. "

Not that I am too worried about getting anything stolen. I don't think I have made anything worthy of theft yet :) but I do like the idea of a signature fabric. Adds a little uniqueness and flare. Also makes for a good story!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if the "pet finder" pellets that a vet can inject could be modified to track quilts. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard. Pellet could be hidden inside the binding. Of course, people would have to learn to pass the binding all around one of those machines to read the info.......