Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
postage stamp question >

postage stamp question

postage stamp question

Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

yes you fold one line over to another, fabrics facing. then stitch 1/4 seam. then do the next one and the next till you have all seams done going one way, turn the quilt and start folding and stitching seams going the other and you are done.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
MTS
Banned

See, like I said upthread,

IS SHE CRAZY?

@lacelady:
It's really lovely, and nice to have as an ongoing project. I love a controlled scrappy look.

Using my trusty little calculator (for those of us non-metric folks), that's a finished ~3/4".

Yikes!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 AM

That's beautiful. How are you going to quilt it? And why did you choose to do a postage stamp quilt? I am astonished at the sight of all the seams meeting! I cut mine with a rotary cutter and had a devil of a time getting 90 degree corners on the pesky little things. I think personally I am better suited to sewing 10 blocks of material or something - but as I am determined to make a watercolor quilt, I am trying to find a method I can do. First I have to learn to cut, then sew, then quilt! I admire your skill.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
That's beautiful. How are you going to quilt it? And why did you choose to do a postage stamp quilt? I am astonished at the sight of all the seams meeting! I cut mine with a rotary cutter and had a devil of a time getting 90 degree corners on the pesky little things. I think personally I am better suited to sewing 10 blocks of material or something - but as I am determined to make a watercolor quilt, I am trying to find a method I can do. First I have to learn to cut, then sew, then quilt! I admire your skill.
Ooops.

But that fusible is perfect for the watercolor. Just maybe do it with 2" squares instead. And you squares don't have to be perfectly cut. That's one of the advantages. I mean, they can be scrappy wonky, but if they at least are enough to be caught in the seams, then it's fine.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Lesley, you continually amaze me. That's beautiful!
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have an ongoing P stamp quilt - because I couldn't get one inch graph paper, I am doing mine in 2cm squares (finished), in the English paper piecing method. I sew blocks of 16 squares together before adding them to the quilt.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

pretty quilt!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

I have been saving to start one of these and am in the swap that is going on, Now I am really confused with all the talk of paper piecing and fusable . I thought you just hand sewed them togeather. Yikes I am so confused......
Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by raedar63
I have been saving to start one of these and am in the swap that is going on, Now I am really confused with all the talk of paper piecing and fusable . I thought you just hand sewed them togeather. Yikes I am so confused......
You make YOUR quilt via any method YOU'RE comfortable using. There are no rules. You can machine piece, hand piece, paper piece, English paper piece, use fusible backing or....whatever works for you.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM

that is alot of blocks
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Amazing and inspiring, Lacelady!