Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
POT PINCHERS >

POT PINCHERS

POT PINCHERS

Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I make my own patterns. Rectangle, oval, heart and others.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Too, too cute!!

Sue
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM

I was wondering why you would need a pattern.

I made one similar for a friend of mine. I used an old CD for a template and rotary cut around it.

Virginia - love the heart!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter

I made one similar for a friend of mine. I used an old CD for a template and rotary cut around it.

Some of us are creatively challenged :) patterns are a girls best friend!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by SherriB
I make my own patterns. Rectangle, oval, heart and others.
Me too. I make bias tape from contrasting fabric for the opening edges and around the sides. It makes them hold their shape better. I use insulbright inside to protect the fingers. I've used them as door prizes for wedding showers.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Here are some very good directions for making them.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5296903_home...otholders.html

I am going to try making these. They are so cute.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM

I bought a pattern, lol :roll: That's before I knew about this forum. Oh, well.
I love mine but they were really not very easy to make. I made one with insulbrite and one with batting or fleece. It's been too long to remember but I know it didn't have the insulbrite. There's not a whole lot of difference as far as the heat going thru to my hand. They were really stiff and that made it hard to sew the binding on the edge. What did you use inside and was yours stiff? I would really love to make more for friends.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter53
I love mine but they were really not very easy to make. I made one with insulbrite and one with batting or fleece. It's been too long to remember but I know it didn't have the insulbrite. There's not a whole lot of difference as far as the heat going thru to my hand. They were really stiff and that made it hard to sew the binding on the edge. What did you use inside and was yours stiff? I would really love to make more for friends.
I cropped the picture to try and show the detail, but it made it blurred...

Cut the insulbright a little smaller than the fabric so that the bias binding will go on easier. Do not put the insulbright in the part that goes on the back on the hand when you insert your fingers, only the part that touches the pan. I did some quilting lines to keep the insulbright flat. The one on the right is the same pattern just stretched longer to grip both sides of a big pot.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90994.jpe   attachment-90995.jpe  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Originally Posted by AlienQuilter

Some of us are creatively challenged :) patterns are a girls best friend!!!
Hi Jade. I had to laugh when you said you used an old CD to make yours. My circles are normally made with an old CD. Squares are made with a cereal box cut to diminisions I want and anything else, unless it is an animal, I cut free hand. Glad to know I'm not the only quilter that economizes by using what is on hand.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by quilter53
I cropped the picture to try and show the detail, but it made it blurred...

Cut the insulbright a little smaller than the fabric so that the bias binding will go on easier. Do not put the insulbright in the part that goes on the back on the hand when you insert your fingers, only the part that touches the pan. I did some quilting lines to keep the insulbright flat. The one on the right is the same pattern just stretched longer to grip both sides of a big pot.
I use an entirely different method than what the patterns show. Why? Because I hate binding. Can't do it on the machine, it always is a mess and detest the time I feel I'm wasting when I hand stitch the binding. So my method is this:

Cut your original pieces of fabric 1/2 inch larger than you want the Pot Pincher to be. Stitch wrong side together a scant 1/4 inch, turn, trim away some on the bulk, then sew another scant 1/4 inch around the whole thing. I do each side separate and make 2 for the split part. Place the batting, etc inside the holders the same size as the original, stitch around to hold in place. For the split side, use only one piece of the pattern only this time, just do a nice sturdy him(hem, LOL) around it. Repeat for the second half. Butt the back side and the split side together. Stitch around, making sure you tack at the top of the heart and at each point of the bottom part. When this is done. Turn whole thing wrong side out. Secure at the dip in the heart and at the points. Probably confusing, but, I like it. Also doing the double seam at the beginning makes it more stable. No coming apart when you have it around a pot handle. Next time I make one, I'll take pictures of each step and post them.