Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The power of Synthropol

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Lots of good info on Synthropol at Dharma Trading. There is also a new low foam version that is supposed to be better for front loading machines.
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2127-AA.shtml
    Dharma also has another product called Professional Textile Detergent. This does not contain alcohol like Synthrapol does. Both of these products are used as a pre-wash to remove unseen grease, oils, and dirts from silk and cotton before dyeing. After dyeing they are used as a final wash to keep excess dye in suspension and helps prevent "back staining" light areas of the fabric. Both of these products can also be used to wash out by hand or in the washing machine your quilts after they've been quilted - to remove marks, glue &/or starch. Retayne is used to stop the bleed from commercial dyed fabrics on cotton. Small bottles of Retayne and Synthrapol should be available in your LQS or a craft store.

Quote Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
    question: Do you know why you can't use Synthropol with front loaders? DH doesn't like our front loader, swears it doesn't get clothes as clean. I love it. However in the process of trying to figure out what could be done to make it so he likes it better, i was told that additional hot water could be added to machine during cycle by pouring it into the bleach dispenser. Would that work for the S. or is it a chemical issue?
    Just turn your water heater temp. up, to be sure it gets to 140 or whatever you need. I have a front loader and dye fabric, so I've done this. Put the Synthrapol or Prof. Textile Detergent or Retayne in the liquid soap dispenser. After I'm done w/ dyeing, I turn the temp. back down on the water heater.

Blog Entries
    I have a front loader and it sits on a pedestal. I love it. I guess if you have to get the water out you'll have to call a repairman.

I have always prewashed my fabrics, for garments and quilts. And since I've been piecing quilts, I prewash the fabrics I'm going to use for a quilt altogether with the Retayne and hot water. I include "Launder in cool water only" on my labels. I don't want someone to have the red dye into the white and ending up with pink and etc. after all the work is done. My sister-in-law made a blue jeans denim quilt and added wine colored blocks with it. After the first wash, it was a miserable looking mess; even for a jeans quilt. Lesson learned for her. She thought she was 'saving time' by not prewashing the wine colored fabric. I haven't ever used the sythrapol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama View Post
    I would never buy a front load washer. How do you remove the water if it breaks down, besides I don't want to bend over to take my clothes out it. Just my lowly opinion!!!!!!!
    My LG brand front-loader has a small drain tube easily accessible on the lower front to drain any water that may remain. I bend over less with this machine than with my previous (top-loader) because I put it on a platform--a plywood box because I did not want to spend ridiculously high $$s on the accessory pedestal for a machine that lives in the garage. My laundry comes out just as clean, if not cleaner, than before, using only half the water and detergent. And no agitator means the clothes are treated more gently, extending their wearability. I shopped around and managed to get this machine for the same price I would have had to pay for a top-loader at the time, about two years ago.
    Last edited by suzanprincess; 04-03-2012 at 12:17 AM.

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewze View Post
    "Synthrapol" is an industrial strength, neutral liquid detergent, used as a prewash, afterwash or wetting agent for paint and dye. " Retayne" is a color fixative for commercially dyed cotton fabrics to stop the bleed. I buy both of these from my LQS.
    Thank you. just goes to show you are never too old to learn, and old dogs CAN learn new tricks. LOL
    I never met a quilt I didnt love.

Please tell me more about Synthropol. I am a dedicated Color Catcher user. What does the Synthropol do?
    Bebe McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    Where can I find 'color catchers'?
    I have found mine via amazon..

You know as I was looking at the color catchers .. I thought "are those batiks'? Dugh!!! then I realized they were the color catchers.... Did I mention my brain does not work its best in the AM.

I pre-wash too. I bought some lovely fabric from E. Burns tent sale in Paducah about 3 years ago. My color catchers came out deep purple for about 5 washes. I was about ready to give up, but loved the fabric. Finally after many more washes, the water ran clear. I find that if I buy fabric from cheaper sources, there is no bleeding. But the better quality fabric bleed horribly. I do tend to buy fabric with deep color, not pastels. I have never heard of Synthropol, but will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
    Please tell me more about Synthropol. I am a dedicated Color Catcher user. What does the Synthropol do?
    synthropol keeps the dye that gets loose in the wash from reattaching to the fabrics. Retayne sets the dyes. hope this helps. Some folks use synthropol and color catcher sheets together. I dont.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    I am also a prewasher and I am working on a quiltb using fat quaters so was washing in water as hot as my hands could stand and a couple of fat quaters had a terrible smell when wet took two rinses and one of them got slimy this
    was expensive quilt shop fabric wonder what chemicals they are using could you imagine putting this in a quilt or anything wirhout washing
    You might want to do a burn test on it - just to verify what the fibers are -

Power Poster
    I still think having to treat commercially dyed fabrics with additional chemicals should be unnecessary.

I do soak the fabrics in hot water - and change the water until it runs clear.

If the fabric is still turning the water color after about 20 changes of water - I consider the fabric to be defective - and will try to return it (if I still have the receipt) - or will trash it - no one else needs to be plagued with something like that.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 04-29-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2