Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PP problem with finished size >

PP problem with finished size

PP problem with finished size

Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM

What I see is a slight bit "moved to the left" of the upper left quadrant. It appears that the outer tip of the pinwheel blade is right at the edge when there should be a quarter inch to the edge. Maybe that one blade lacked the precision you are aiming for. The block is really nice and I like the contrast of your color choices, too.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM

The two top sections seem a bit wider also. I'd add a smidge to the outer edges of the red/yellow sections...or maybe stitch those with an even slighter seam.
Oh, something I learned on Simply Quilts (a long time ago)...try pressing the center of the pinwheel block in the oposite direction...it can really make a difference!
Marge

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I am in a boomerang group and I chose to make a block from QuiltersCasche for one of the boom members. I choose the block called "Checkerpins". It's a gorgeous block with a paper pieced pin-wheel in the center and 6 patch checkerboard in each of the corners (which is strip pieced). Here's a link to the pattern.

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CheckerpinsBlock.html

I LOVE the block!!

Because I've never made this block, and I don't have a whole lot of experience paper piecing, I decided to make a practice block first - wise choice! My block came out just shy of 12.5" - too much shy for my comfort, especially since I'm sending it to someone else.

I remember reading a piece of advice that Hollice gave. I'll paraphrase - when something doesn't work, find out WHY.

I had measured every step of the way so I was perplexed as to why the finished product was off. This morning I de-constructed the block into it's 4 sections, measured them, and all of them measured the correct 6.5".

I know why now.

I sew a scant 1/4" seam. I set my needle to the right and then measure the seam after it is sewn and ironed. When you join two blocks and one of them was PP and you sew on the PP seam line ... you lose that 'scant' seam. So I reconstructed the 4 sections and used my scant 1/4" seam and the block is now 12.5" ... but I discovered a new problem.

If you DON'T sew on the 1/4" seam line - you lose your points in the center of the block!!!!

How can I fix this??? Will it work if I add a smidge to the long straight edge of the PP pinwheel block which will make that piece a bit longer and allow me to use the 1/4" seam marked on the pointed edge of the block?? I think it might ...

Oh. Here's a pic of the finished block. The size is correct, but I've lost the points in the center.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Your pattern is for a 12" finished block not 12.5. Your scant seams made it come out a little larger but not large enough to be 12.5.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM

I still don't paper piece, haven't been able to make anything come out looking like it is supose to.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

The problem I see is the lower two blocks are not in line with the upper two blocks making the center seam off set. I would resew the center seam after glue basting the center points exactly where I wanted them to meet. Not having block sides all straight after sewing pieces together is my biggest problem.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Good for you for sticking with it and doing your very best! I'm glad you found the solution, and thank you for posting that information.
I'd swap with you any day - IF I did swaps, that is. Lol.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM

I am thinking it is the red, gold and HST strip below your pinwheel that is the problem. I would take that strip off and the pinwheel strip and start again with those 2 strips, and pin and fit them tog. again and then sew them back on. I hope that is clear. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM

I had a problem like that and found out it was the way I ironed it. I need to iron(Press) it with the seam going toward the outside; not the inside dark color. Don't know if that will help but it worked for me. NICE COLORS!!!!!!