Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PQ 1500 - need some answers >

PQ 1500 - need some answers

PQ 1500 - need some answers

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Michelle is right about the oiling. It does seem to need oiled pretty often.

I eliminated the problem of the needle coming unthreaded by only using the cutter when the take up lever is in the highest position. I just hand turn it to that place and push the cutter. No more unthreading problem.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM

No local dealer. We do have a Brother dealer, but he wants nothing to do with that machine as a sale. One Juki dealer (not reputable) The Babylock dealer doesn't have the Jane, and the Janome dealers don't have machines either. Everyone around here seems to want a long arm of some kind.

That is interesting about the feed dogs. Where did you find the info? I do oil the thing - I also have a rocket blower and a camel hair brush. Those are both used for cleaning expensive cameras, so they shouldn't hurt a mechanical machine.

The 1500 is more efficient than the Pfaff. But I also embroider and do heirloom. I only mentioned the Pfaff - the bobbin system is vertical in both, and you adjust both the same way. But just because that Pfaff has a lousy thread cutting system doesn't mean it's a bad machine and I want to get rid of it. Every machine has peculiarities. Some of the older Brother/Babylock machines always defaulted to the left needle position when you turned them on.

I've been piecing with the 1500 and some stuff is so much faster. More area to move around and maneuver, the settings are right in front of you - no default.

I do read everything I can before I buy a product. I want to see what other owners think of it. So far, Amazon has had more reviews, but there is usually no specific reason WHY some don't like it. Every brand can have a lemon - in that case get it replaced or a refund. But if it's just a small foible that you can live with, say so. I hunted all over and it was mostly love/hate and a some dislike about the machine on a frame. No specific reasons why. I don't have and won't have a frame. No room.
It's in a Horn cabinet. I finally got a surround since I can't get an insert.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 02-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I use the first hole in the three hole bar just for a guide. I put the thread straight down in the first hole on the right. I get much better results and less thread problems.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM

Thank you. Do you tighten the top tension?

I see Dottymo has posted a picture of something I was getting while FMQ. I think it's the fabric. I also didn't have any type of stabilizer as I was just using cotton, flannel, muslin. The flannel was some cheaper stuff. I used the same threads on a cheap muslin, batting, muslin sandwich to practice on, and I didn't get that loop. I also didn't get it when I switched to I think C&C heavier thread in the same color. The messed up stitches didn't happen until I used the new flannel, which I had washed. That's a combo of operator error, and lousy fabric.

I stitched and cut the raggy yesterday, and those stitches were so even it was surprising. I did the raggy as the otter and sand fabric are over 10 years old, and I didn't want to cut the otters. Just doing a quilt stencil over them helps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396590[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails raggy.jpg