Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Practice Handles >

Practice Handles

Practice Handles

Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Practice Handles

I noticed that Nancy's Notions has a handle set-up that a pen attaches to. It is used to practice free motion quilting on either a domestic machine or a longarm. There are two different ones. The domestic one you move the paper, and the longarm one you move the handles. I just wonder if anyone has used this practice device. It sure would save a lot of fabric and batting if you could learn by just practicing on paper. Thanks for any input. It's called a Quick Trainer for Quilting.

Last edited by Quiltngolfer; 11-12-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Just my opinion, but I think it's better to practice on actual quilt sandwiches. You can keep costs down by using inexpensive batting from JoAnn's in combination with thrift store sheets. When I was learning to FMQ on my domestic machine, I made up about a dozen 14" square sandwiches from muslin and batting, and drew different designs on each. I'm pretty sure the total cost of these sandwiches was less than the cost of the Quick Trainer.

Plus, I don't like taking up valuable storage area with gadjets like this.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM

I use a 18X20 dry erase board. do not bend my wrist, and practice my design, had a teacher tell me once the mussels learn the pattern and the pattern flows easy go to your machine. much easier and faster to just wipe it off and start over again plus I can take it with me anywhere.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I saw this in a quilt show and couldn't believe they actually wanted money for it. You can practice on paper with a pencil, no special device required.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM

I took a class with Harriet Hargrave, and she recommends practicing with paper & pencil, especially if you are trying to learn how to do a design like feathers or if you are going to be doing stencilled borders. However, I found that I could place a piece of template plastic over the design, then trace over the design with a dry erase marker until I feel comfortable tracing the design. In this way, you develop muscle memory and better hand/eye coordination. Once you feel comfortable with paper & pencil, then practice with quilt sandwiches. Another Harriet Hargrave tip is to practice on a quilt sandwich for 20 minutes before you start working on your actual quilt to warm up the muscles; never start quilting on your actual quilt cold; always warm up.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM

When I do fmq on my DSM, I find it difficult to make the transition from moving the pencil across the paper, to moving the fabric under the needle. I found practicing on paper or a dry erase board to be wasted time. I had to make practice sandwiches and do actual fmq....I also found that I do better when sewing the designs upside down, so I can see where I am sewing! So try several different methods to find one that works best for you.....don't let someone tell you that this is the only way!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
So try several different methods to find one that works best for you.....don't let someone tell you that this is the only way!

You are so right, Rose. There are no quilt police, just friends sharing what works for them. I can't tell you how many new things I've tried just from reading this message board. Some I liked, some not so much, but at least I tried.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM

I agree with buckeye rose on this one.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
When I do fmq on my DSM, I find it difficult to make the transition from moving the pencil across the paper, to moving the fabric under the needle. I found practicing on paper or a dry erase board to be wasted time.
Isn't this practice method best for people who longarm? That's what I always thought, anyway.

When I saw that contraption, my first thought was "Why not just tape a pen to my machine and use paper instead of fabric?" It does seem kind of silly to me.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the good thoughts on the subject. I think I will hang onto my money.