Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Practicing FMQ >

Practicing FMQ

Practicing FMQ

Old 05-06-2020, 09:29 AM

I practice and practice all the time and improvement for me is slow but I keep on trying. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't practicing all the time. Many times I do just a single block that I have sandwiched together so I can have better control. I try different machines and threads and even positions for my machine and the needles too. I did discover that when I took a break for over a year from doing a quilt my FMQ suffered severely. So now I am back to working at it again.
So consistent practice is what I would suggest for you to do. It may take time but you will get better.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Also, you don't have to take the time to make quilt sandwiches if that is something holding you up. Get a big package of regular 9" x 12" craft felt from the craft store (or online from Amazon). Pin two pieces together to make a "sandwich" and go for it. That gives you really quick materials to work with and they're not precious, so you can concentrate on "playing" with your FMQ. It's a quick and easy way to get better fast and to build some muscle memory for various motifs and patterns you might want to use.

Rob
Thanks, Rob. I love this idea! I am stealing it to use for a fmq "book" filled with design ideas. Fast and easy, and I can add to it as I come up with new favorite designs. I can put a grommet in the upper corner and hang it from my frame or put it beside my domestic machine for a quick reference. You are brilliant! Also a great way to test and remember thread weight/ style ideas.

I've been using dry erase boards for 'practice', and now I will be using felt sandwiches too.

Last edited by mindless; 05-06-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I agree that it takes practice. I started on a dinky mechanical Costco type brother machine. Feed
dogs up and stitch length zero. Now it is my
favorite part of making a quilt. I am happy with it although it won’t win any prizes. Keep
practicing!
Old 05-06-2020, 02:07 PM

I have a little bit different take on this. Right now you are mostly wanting to focus on the new love of your life and I think you should do just that! Enjoy everything you do for your precious new grandbaby. No need to feel guilty that other things may take a back seat for a while, for as long as it takes. That new machine will still be there. I doubt it will deteriorate in the meantime. The time you spend with a grand child will go fast so enjoy it as much as you can. You got some good advice here and if some of it works for your FMQ, that's great. But if your main focus for now is your grandchild, even better.

Last edited by suern3; 05-06-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I appreciate all the comments, thank you!!
Old 05-06-2020, 02:36 PM

There isn't any substitute for practice. Let go of the idea of perfection, just practice with intent.

I made a few tops, totally scrap on top and pieced backs. Full sized, to get used to the weight. I am using them as samplers, trying out different motifs to see what I like and to improve. I'm getting better with each one and they will be liked when I donate them. Only been doing this since January when I could set up a machine just for quilting.

Some motifs I like, a few I won't ever do again. But getting in there and putting in the time every week (2-3 days/week, I can't do every day) is making a difference and I can see myself getting better.

Pay attention, and go back when you are done and think about what you can do better next time. Practice with intent builds skill and you will get better really soon.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:25 PM

I'm too want to practice more but find myself piecing tops and just letting them pile up. I like the suggestion for preprinted baby panels for practice. I feel like I put so much time into piecing my tops, I don't want sloppy stitches visible for all to see. I can meander quite comfortably, but really want to branch out with designs. Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:05 PM

I also found practicing FMQ kinda boring and unmotivating. I love putting together actual quilts! But here's what really worked for me to get me passionate about it (which then motivates me to do real stuff)... Instead of waiting until a quilt top was done to sandwich it, then quilt it, I chose projects that allowed the FMQ to make the project itself. for example, a raw edge applique is a great way to practice. no, you're not making spirals or paisleys, but you are learning how to move the machine and manage your stitches. you can incorporate this into your piecing to add in some practice time. look up information on thread painting, which you can Incorporate into your applique.
The picture below is what Angela Walters calls "Layered Quilting" (it's kind of like reverse applique). I layered everything together (a back, batting, and multiple different fabrics on top of each other for the tops). after quilting, I cut away either none, one, or two of the top fabrics to expose the "top" fabrics underneath. you can do all kinds of flowers or shapes or whatever. Then when you are done, you have "pieced" and quilted your whole quilt at one time. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails elephant-display.jpeg  

Last edited by LAF2019; 05-06-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Jamie Wallen suggests that you pick one motif and practice just it during your practice time until you can do it in your sleep.

I worked on meander which I found very difficult until I watched a lady that said to key on two things...keep the spacing the same between the lines, no matter what size you decide to make it and if you get stuck and don't know where to go next, reverse your direction and draw a balloon capital letter H , F or T until you can get going again. It worked for me.

The next one I chose a Paisley because it has a rounded part and a pointed part and some practice on making them different sizes all in one motif, plus it is really versatile to fill in background space with. I made a lot of really bad Paisleys, but eventually it just clicked and I could do them upside down and backwards, so I moved onto Spirals which I still struggle with when trying to fill a background, but I'm working on it.

Anyhow...my point is, take some time...15 minutes a day is great...and pick one and work on it.

Also, I prefer to have a practice sandwich that is dark on one side and light on the other with light thread so that I can see on the dark side how things look in detail and on the light side how things would really look on a quilt if my thread and fabric colours were the same. I guarantee it looks a lot better than you think!

Watson
Great advise-huge thank-you for sharing.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:19 AM

I found it really helped me to doodle FMQ designs before trying them on the machine. My husband cut white board purchased at Menards to a convenient size I can hold in my lap while watching television or holding on the phone. I use an erasable marker and just practice spirals, leaves, meandering, etc. Eventually, my hand almost automatically does the design. It has also helped a great deal in mapping out paths so I don't get stuck in a corner. Doodling allows me to concentrate on just one thing - the "drawing" without worrying about speed, moving the quilt, etc. Once I feel fairly comfortable with the white board/paper doodles, I move on to practicing the sewing on scrap quilt sandwiches until I've "perfected" them.