Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-printed backing for machine quilting- any advice?? >

Pre-printed backing for machine quilting- any advice??

Pre-printed backing for machine quilting- any advice??

Old 10-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the information on these quilt backs :D
I think these would be awesome for quite a few quilt patterns :D:D:D
Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I appreciate the knowledge everyone!! Will keep you posted.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 AM

I agree!!!! and It really does work great with small projects, but is meant to be used with the darning foot for all the swirly design's.
Originally Posted by RST
How big is the quilt you are doing? If it is quite small, you might be able to do that pattern with a walking foot, but it would involve far more manipulation of the quilt than I would want to do. If it's larger than a twin, I would definitely do free motion.

I personally am not a fan of that fabric except as a tool to learn how to free motion. The problem I see is that since you are working from the back, your quilting does not relate to the pieced work of the quilt top (unless you have been very clever and very fussy about lining everything up). I like to see the quilting stitch design relate to the top -- not just be a design that is plonked down.

What I would probably do with that fabric is make a whole cloth sandwich in pretty fabric, and use the project to perfect my free motion skills, then do a quilt top (with the top upwards) with free motion design similar to the curves and swoops I had learned from the practice work.

RST
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 AM
np3
Power Poster

I would worry about how the top would look if I quilt from the back.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM

I have some to practice FMQ, but was planning on just doing a whole cloth quilt with it.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Hmmmm........ I bought an obscene amount of yardage when Fabric.com had a special on Amazon but the price was wrong and I got it for 7.98 a yard and it's about 110 inches wide!!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Don't be afraid of Free Motion Quilting. Once you get started, it's like doodling on paper - only on fabric.
Make yourself some 12" squares of two layers of fabric with some sort of batting inbetween - even an old towel or flannel sheet will do.
Lower your feed dogs, put on your darning foot, pressure foot DOWN, and put the pedal to the metal and go!
You'll be shakey at first, but put your palms down on either side of the needle and slide it around. In no time, you can write your name even!
The key for me, is to have the speed fast enough. You don't want the fabric to pull on the needle as you slide it around.
Just go for it. Save your fancy fabric for after you've done some practicing on scraps.
You may have to adjust your tension if the top thread gets pulled to the back.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM

The main reason you'd quilt from the back is so you can concentrate on the free motion design and not get distracted by the pattern of the top. Often if freemotion quilting a top that has a specific pattern or a regular design in the piecing, you inevitably start following the pattern in the fabric and your FMQ suffers because of it.
If your tension is correct, you shouldn't be able to notice if it was quilted from the back or the front.
It also allows you to use thicker threads in your bobbin - the ones that break all the time when they go through the tension discs and the needle. Sometimes they work better when they're in the bobbin, so Upside-down quilting is the way to get the nice thread on the top!
There is no wrong way to quilt - just design opportunities!