Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wash flannel for rag quilt? >

Pre-wash flannel for rag quilt?

Pre-wash flannel for rag quilt?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Default Pre-wash flannel for rag quilt?

I am preparing to make a rag quilt with flannel on the front and back. I hear flannel shrinks a lot and should be washed before sewing. But do I need to prewash flannel for a rag quilt?

thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 PM

I have never made a rag quilt, but I would always wash flannel. It is one fabric you never quite know what direction it is going to shrink because of the loose weave.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 PM
sap

I made out of yardage t-shirt material and flannel, didn't pre-wash anything. And ended up with a kinda crinkled look which I liked.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 AM

I washed the flannel first. I used Joanne's flannel. The flannel shrinkage was unbelievable and some pieces shrunk more then other. Some shrunk up to 5-6 inches. Also found some " pilled " alot and I didn't used that fabric.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 AM

I have just finished 2 rag quilts for my granddughters made of flannel with batting in between. I pre-washed the flannel and it shrunk considerably in width but not length. I really enjoyed the process and found it most forgiving! Very weird sewing the seams on the front of the quilt...had to unpick a few blocks that I sewed "incorrectly" with seams "inwards"! The end result with the flannel on front and back is terrific...very warm and snuggly. I heartily recommend using flannellette for the top and bottom.
The first quilt is yellow floral and plain pink blocks with a ladybird backing, and the second, a lemon gym shoe and plain mint green blocks front and back. Colours were a bit tricky to match but I got them on special so wasn't going to complain and as it has turned out...I'm very happy with them. I did invest in an expensive pair of rag snips for the second one as I found that the generic snips I used for the first one blunted very very quickly trying to cut through all those layers. The snipping for each quilt took me about 2.5 hours!
Have fun...look forward to seeing your pics of the finished product!!
Attached Thumbnails p9250079-custom-.jpg   p9250081-custom-.jpg   p9080034-custom-.jpg   p9080027-custom-.jpg   p9080031-large-.jpg  

Old 09-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Your raggy quilt will still ( fray) well even with prewashed fabrics, which seems to be what everyone is concerned about... It is the clipping of the seams that creates the (chenille effect) I will admit I have made raggy quilts without prewashing my flannel a time or two which turned out just fine, but it does depend on the flannel being used. To be (safe) especially for your first one, prewash.... After you see how it all comes out and are comfortable then do some experimenting
Old 09-26-2014, 04:58 AM

I have always prewashed flannel even for rag quilts.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I pre-wash everything.....shrinkage/colour bleeds are best discovered pre-stitching. Your quilt will still rag beautifully.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silvia75 View Post
I am preparing to make a rag quilt with flannel on the front and back. I hear flannel shrinks a lot and should be washed before sewing. But do I need to prewash flannel for a rag quilt?

thanks
If you don't want puckers, wash! In really hot water!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I made one and I was taught not to pre-wash it. I was happy with the outcome when I finally washed it. But be warned, it is best to do your first washing of the rag quilt at a commercial laundry facility because of all the shedding these quilt do. My best friend had to call a plumber since it clogged up her drain.
Attached Thumbnails rag-quilt.jpg