Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To pre wash or not... that is the question >

To pre wash or not... that is the question

To pre wash or not... that is the question

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LMB
Thank you all so much. I knew not to take it upon myself to decide... I would have cut it all up and off the the machine. I love being able to have quilters in the know to ask. This is a great place~!
Ckcowl I love your quilt~!
:-P You really need to pre-wash the fabric. One thing I do suggest is to separate the different colors, and not pre-wash them together. I washed some lime green and a blue piece together and you guessed it. I had blue fuzz all over the green and green fuzz all over the blue. Some flannel may not do this but mine did (I purchased it at Jo Ann's). Good luck Brenda
Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Oh pretty, makes me want to curl up in it
Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by LMB
JoAnn Fabric had flannel fabric on sale and I got... um... LOTS!
I want to make baby quilts... anyway, I never made them out of flannel before so here's my question... do I pre wash the fabric before I cut and sew, or after? Thanks much quilters.
Absolutely. Flannel really shrinks.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 PM

If I pre-wash flannel for any reason, I always zig zag the edges. I hate washing machine macrame'!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

ABSOLUTELY Yes pre wash and more than one time. Flannel shrinks and shrinks and shrinks.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 PM

I'm making very simple infant blankets which will only have a rolled hem. Is it best to pre-wash these, also? I've always washed purchased flannel pjs prior to wearing, especially the ones for my grandchildren.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Yes. I would hot wash and hot dry THREE times. That way you will get all of the skrinkage out. Have your scissors next to your washer so you can untangle and cut strings before putting it in the dryer. I am sure you will be happy about doing this. :-D

Cottons I only wash/dry one time but on flannel I do it 3x. :-D
Old 02-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
Do you wash the flannel in hot water as well, as dry it in a hot dryer?

Hi,

Yes I generally use hot water. This is what I do. I start the washer with the hot water, add in a very small amount of detergent, mix that into the water with a paint stir stick. About half full I switch to warm water, then add the flannel fabric making sure that the fabric is pushed down into the tub. After making sure entire fabric is wet then switch back to hot water until at the fullest setting. Always be sure to have plenty of room for the fabric to move. Do not mix different colors just in case there is dye fading. I found this to be true for the darker solids.

Happy Quilting!

Pam M
Dayton, OH
Add color catchers (found at JoAnn's) to your wash. I do not dry my color catcher, ever. I think it says not to in the directions.

:-D
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by LMB
JoAnn Fabric had flannel fabric on sale and I got... um... LOTS!
I want to make baby quilts... anyway, I never made them out of flannel before so here's my question... do I pre wash the fabric before I cut and sew, or after? Thanks much quilters.
With flannel, especially from Joann's you MUST pre-wash...flannel shrinks so much, and it seems even the higher quality quilters flannel that Joann's sells shrinks more than other flannels - as much as 15-25%........I do not pre wash any of my cottons or batiks, but I always wash and dry flannel.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 PM

YES YES YES....prewash in hot water, dry in hot dryer - and you may want to do this two times or more. The flannel shrinks so much you will be sorry if you do not.....