Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To pre-wash or not? >

To pre-wash or not?

To pre-wash or not?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM

I don't prewash. Anything. Ever. One of the things I have figured out in out in doing laundry for the last 40 years is the bleeding issues. I've only ever had *1* thing pick up and keep a dye bleed in 40 years of doing laundry. One. And I managed that *with* bleach.

Here's my challenge, do a load of your normal laundry. Be brave, mix a couple of dark or even red tops in there with a bra or maybe something else light in color. Make sure they're things that you've had for at least 6 months. Then do the exact same load with a color catcher.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM

I generally don't pre-wash. I have never had color bleed but I use color catchers when I wash my finished quilt. I use inexpensive muslin for foundation to do crazy quilt piecing and strip piecing and I do wash that because it is a loosely woven fabric because it is so cheap and I know the shrinkage will be more than the other fabrics. Some quilters react in horror when they find out I don't pre-wash. I think it is a personal decision and there really isn't a right or wrong way.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
You know, I was thinking...if heat from the dryer sets runs and stains, wouldn't it help set dye in newly purchased fabric too? Without washing first, just throw it into the dryer and let it get hot?
Heat sets some organic dyes (and definitely organic stains! Try dropping some carrot juice on your socks, the way I did, to confirm.) Almost all dyes used on fabrics these days are chemically-based. Heat alone is usually not enough to set them; that's why factories use chemicals to permanently set the dyes.

In short, tossing in a dryer will not set most dyes (but will set some stains).
Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM

Okay, only been quilting for 4 years after I retired from teaching. I wash the fabric when I bring it in the house. After all the yeas and nays for both washing and non-washing. I decided that every time I have washed the fabrics (I use warm water wash and warm water rinse) using color catchers, there are always colors on the color catchers. When I wash the charms and fat quarters (in mesh bags) and fabric, I run everything through through the dryer for 10 minutes on low and take them out, hand press the small pieces and hang the larger pieces on a plastic coated hanger to dry completely. Then, I either put them on my fabric boards or get them laid out for the next quilt. I starch and steam iron everything before it is cut!. After reading about some of the chemicals used, the factories they are made in, and the other conditions they face before they get to me, I will wash before I start to use them.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I have posted this picture on the board in the past. The fabric is a highly regarded quilt shop fabric. People say that new high end fabric won't bleed. I don't find any difference between old and new. Most of it bleeds. The color may be caught with color catchers, it may stop bleeding after the first wash. I don't know that unless I test in water. And then there is the subject of shrinkage, chemicals, and bugs.

I don't like risks.
Just because it bleeds some dye does not mean it's a problem. It's only a problem if another fabric picks the dye up and doesn't release it.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM

The only fabrics I pre-wash are batiks and flannels(only if I'm making clothing out of the flannel), otherwise, I don't pre-wash flannels. The only reason I do pre-wash batiks, is that they do have a tendency to bleed.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:03 PM

I'm not a pre-washer. I boldly make quilts with dark purple batiks and light pink/white batiks. Before I wash though, I soak my quilts in water with a quarter cup of salt, hand agitate, drain, rinse, repeat until there is no longer any colour in the water. Then cold water gentle cycle with a handful of colour catchers. This may not be quilt sanctioned, but it has worked well for me on that purple batik quilt as well as a dark green with creams and whites.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM

I prewash. I put new fabric in the laundry room after I walk in the door. I have had fabric bleed but my main reason is allergies. I received 59 blocks from members of my guild. I suppose some are unwashed, or come from houses with smokers or pets. Regardless every time I work on putting those blocks together, I get the sniffles and a headache. Sadly these blocks have set for over a year and I need to deal with them and finish putting the top together. Once I quilt it I will be able to wash it.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:00 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. I figured it takes me about 60 seconds to throw the fabric in the washer and put soap in. Then I turn the dial to the setting I want and start washing. When the machine is done, I throw the fabric in the dryer, turn the dial to the setting I want and start the dryer and walk away. It takes about 90 seconds of actual work for me to wash and dry my fabric. I figure I can take 90 seconds out of my day to have clean fabric to work with. I know some people say that pre-washing is just too arduous and takes too long to do. Really? It's not like we have to go and bring water to the house and wash everything by hand the way our forebearers did. I have lots of allergies and the last thing I need is to work with fabrics with lots of chemicals on it. 2 days ago, I went and helped a friend sew curtains. She didn't wash any of the fabric and so I am now dealing with my allergies acting up. If I am reacting to the chemicals so much that I am taking antihistimines today to deal with the allergies, it's just not worth it. I have read so many post here about people making their quilt and then they are scared to wash it for fear of the fabric bleeding,shrinking,etc. I find out BEFORE I go to the trouble of making the quilt and then having fabrics bleed. I guess I think of pre-washing laying the foundation of the process. The same way when I am making a cake, I grease and lightly flour the cake pans so they are ready when I have the batter ready to be put in the pans and then baked. The reason I grease and flour the cake pans? So that I won't have problems when the cakes are baked and it's time to take them out of the pans. Having greased and floured the pans making removing the cakes from the pans easy. It's the same with pre-washing fabric. It just is something I do to prepare my fabrics. I don't bother to iron the fabrics until I am ready to use them.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM

PREWASH or risk getting burned ;-). Even the "best" fabric lines can bleed tremendously, reds and greens being notorious. Also, yes the chemicals.