Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More >

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 AM

I lover precuts. I use them all the time. I rarely have any issues with the Moda or koffmann precuts. I have only found 1 bad cut and I contacted moda and they sent me a new 10" suare right away.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 AM

I do both, just depending upon what I want for fabric. I wanted some fabric with a New Orleans/Mardi Gras/New Orleans Saints theme for a friend of mine. I could only find that in fabric. I made both of my sisters quilts and those were from charm packs and jelly rolls. I'm making my GS a quilt with baseball fabric. When I buy precuts it's usually from MSQC because I know they are reliable.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 AM

The last precut , charm pack , I got was called Great Scotts. I loved that line because our daughter has two sets of twins, two years apart. There is one boy. I love making them clothes to match. I makes the girls skirts and the boy a vest. It is very very hard to find fabric that will work for both sexes. I also like jelly rolls. I am using them in pillow cases as the little strip. That is working out very well.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 AM

I love the idea of pre cuts but when I've worked out how much fabric I'm getting and look at the price I just don't think most are value for money. I have an Accuquilt so can cut my own just as soon as I can find the time.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 AM

I am not a huge buyer of precuts. I do buy some. This year my instead of a presidents challenge for the year my guild is doing what we call precut university. So many in my guild said they never know what to do with pre cuts. We are doing one type of precut a month and presenting a project using it. I am presenting something using a jelly roll, hexagons, and another precut of my choice. I plan on doing the 3 Dudes free pattern with the jelly roll. I am going to do falling hexagons with the hexagons. Not sure about the other one yet. I have a jelly roll, I will probably cut my own of the other precuts to use up my stash.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 AM

I love precuts - my cutting skill are not good, my hand moves
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM

I like pre-cuts because you get at least one of each fabric in a line. That way I can look at them all and decide what yardage I want to buy to go with them We don't have a really good quilt shop in my area so I shop online a lot and I can order just what I want and not be tempted by other fabrics in the shop.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Thanks CarolynMT for the break down.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 AM

I use a lot of precuts, but it is a matter of convenience. I usually buy them from MSQC when they are on a daily deal, particularly charm packs. Even if they are a little off in size, I can compensate pretty well. I like the variety of fabrics, and there are projects which require only a single charm pack. I like to piece them together. I guess that's weird, but hey: "Sometime I try to act normal, but it gets boring, so I just go back to being myself."
Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 AM

I've used a bunch of precuts and only had problems with one package of 5 inch squares...I since have bought a 5 inch square die for my AcuQuilt...that being said I still buy precuts, I just carry a tape measure in my purse and check them before I buy....I love, love, love jelly rolls!!