Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More >

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 AM

I used two "River Rock" Bali Pops (jelly rolls) and 1 charm pack for this graduation throw for a tall young man. The cuts were very accurate and without pinking. It was quick to make.
Attached Thumbnails jelly-roll-1.jpg   austins-throw.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Hi Otis - long time no talk. I am a lover of pre-cuts also. I just bought 5 charms of 30s fabric. I didn't own any 30s fabric but felt I needed to. I have jelly rolls, layer cakes and lots of fat quarter bundles. I love to work with them. I don't have an eye for color. If I try to make up a quilt at a LQS, the person behind the counter will tell me that my colors don't match. One is too yellow, one is too orange, etc. So I buy fabric lines in any way possible. I buy yards out of a fabric line and it works well. I also buy quilt kits. I buy them from LQS, from magazines and online. I don't prewash, so I don't worry about the small pieces. I know lots of people buy pre-cuts, maybe not from this board, but when Jenny Doan has her 'Quilter's Daily Deal', I usually can't get it because it's sold out. I live in Pacific time, so I'm always late for those deals. But I believe pre-cuts are very beneficial for me.
I'm Pacific Coast also and have yet to miss out on one of the 'Quilter's Daily Deal'.
maybe it's because I get up fairly early.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 AM

I love precursor for the comfort quilts I make. I buy them from Missouri Star quilts or jellyrolls.net. Never had a problem with them. MSQ and Liz at jellyroll both give great free patterns and tutorials. My mom, not a quilter, will sew the strips together that I cut blocks and use for the comfort quilts. I don't own an Accuquilt, so these work for me. Other quilts, I do rotary cut myself. Love to quilt and whatever makes that easier, I'm all over it.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM

I do buy pre cuts at times. I think they are great way for young people to make their first quilts. I am working with 4H kids with quilting and for their first project and younger members they make a great way to make a quick quilt for them. Then I work with them cutting their own fabric to make a quilt. I so recommend they look at Missouri Star Quilting for their precuts.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM

loved reading everyone take on precuts... I have just recently bought a few charm packs.... (from Missouri Star... can't beat their daily deals.).. My only trouble is that pinked edge.... had to get use to that and making sure everything is lined up correctly. I wouldn't buy them unless they are on sale... unfortunately I buy for projects ... not to increase my stash... so always need a project in mind...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
I'm Pacific Coast also and have yet to miss out on one of the 'Quilter's Daily Deal'. maybe it's because I get up fairly early.
If they post at midnight Central Time it's 11:00 Mountain Time and 10:00 Pacific Time. Check before you go to bed.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM

I buy a few because I hand applique mostly. Have never thought to measure any of them. Have purchased 5", 10" and fat quarters. I will and see what I have and/or thought I had. Thanks for the board.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM

I too, purchased several jelly rolls from Joann's and received one as a gift, they are all off. Now so far they have all measured 2 1/2" but the edges are wavy and I have had to trim them all. I am planning on using them in a jelly roll race...Some race, I lost before I began. Very disappointed. I gave one as a gift to my Secret Pal and now I will have to tell her to make sure she re-measures them all.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 PM

I myself don't buy/use them, much. I have bought one jelly roll and 1 charm pack - both happened to be Batiks. I usually buy yardage and the occasional FQ. Last year and this year, I'm trying not to buy and use what I have. When I do use them, I'm cutting them in smaller pieces yet, since I do a lot of PP or wonky strip piecing.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM

I don't usually use them. I am making a quilt now, and chose to use a layer cake. I'm using batiks and I wanted scrappy. more for a variety of color effects than anything else. That was the cheapest way to do it. Pre-cuts are more expensive, but FQ's were too much for my project and this way I got lots of variety with little excess. The fact the colors all coordinate is nice. Generally, I love picking fabrics. That is my favorite part of the process. This just worked for this quilt.