Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preparing quilt yardage..... >

Preparing quilt yardage.....

Preparing quilt yardage.....

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM

Remember the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I generally wash all my fabric, with the exception of precuts or kits. I like to wash in cold water, then let the dryer go about half cycle, then while slightly damp I iron the fabric, it's much easier as it is evenly damp so ironing goes fairly quickly. If I don't catch the fabric before it dries, when I'm ready to start a quilt, I set up my ironing board, use a spritzer bottle with just water, then iron as usual. Since I don't have a big board, I've found that turning the ironing board around so that the wider section is up front, that also helps.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:10 PM

I wash and iron all my yardage. I found that, on a regular ironing board, the fabric sometimes got a bit skewed because of the taper at the end of the board. I have had much better results with a large rectangular ironing surface. You can buy a "big board" to fit over your ironing board, but they are price-y. DH made me one of plywood and I covered it with batting and fabric. Stores leaning up against a closet wall and takes little space.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:28 PM

I always wash fabric first then iron if it's yardage, fatquarters or whatever. I am careful with strips or small pieces. I was taught all the usual rules too. If you ever watch Missouri Quilt Company videos on UTube, you'll see Jenny iron. Can't ever remember seeing her press and she turns out beautiful quilts. She also makes it look so easy.

By all means iron but that doesn't mean drag the iron so hard that you do distort the fabric. Just as you would do ironing the family's clothes. If you should comes across some stubborn creases press those and use some steam.
All the best and Happy Quilting.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:44 PM

I too iron, not press, prewashed fabrics for a quilt. After they are cut you can run into trouble by ironing, so that is when you press. Clear as mud?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=Jeanne S;7431262]When it is still just whole yardage, after washing/drying, I spray with spray starch, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then iron with a steam iron. The pressing is only after you have cut your pieces to not distort the shape.[/QUO

Ditto this method, and am planning to use the fabric right away or very soon. If I can't start the cutting phase for whatever reason right away, I hang it lengthwise on a skirt hanger or over my quilt rack. I only iron as much as I need at a time. I cut off the excess and store it unironed.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Don't worry about the all the quilting rules. This isn't rocket science
Willferg is right, the rules are ; it is your fabric, do what you want. Everything else is helpful hints not orders, and here on the 'board we have a "fast horse" policy. Every quilt is viewed while riding by on a fast horse, so no mistakes are seen unless you ask specifically if we see any. Welcome to our favorite obsession.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
When it is still just whole yardage, after washing/drying, I spray with spray starch, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then iron with a steam iron. The pressing is only after you have cut your pieces to not distort the shape.
This is me. I like having the body when I cut my pieces so I starch and iron. I would never be able to quilt if I pressed the yardage instead of ironing it.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM

I dry iron the fabric - sort of. If it's badly wrinkled, then I spray water on the fabric. The 'guidelines' of quilting are to press the fabric so it doesn't stretch. That's one guideline I ignore. I do not use starch, etc, because I am sensitive to it. Once it's on the fabric, it will break off the fabric in microscopic pieces. It seems that every one of those little pieces of starch dust head straight to my eyes and nose, and make me miserable.

Note that I am not competing for prizes when I make a quilt. I'm having fun! If you're going for show quality quilts, then press.

Otherwise, you make your own rules for your own quilts!

Last edited by cathyvv; 01-12-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Vat

I don't always wash my yardage but I always starch it. I put it in the washing machine on a rinse cycle and let it rinse and spin , then I take it outside and spray it with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of Sta-Flo starch and water. I also use a garden sprayer for my yardage, it saves time and stress on the hands over the pump sprayers. I spray both sides and allow to dry. Then I bring it inside and iron it with grain. You will think the fabric is way too stiff but I think you will be amazed at how well your blocks go together and how flat you quilt lay when finished. Be sure to work on getting a narrow binding , front and back. I cut my bindings 1 3/4 inches , then fold in half and sew it to the front of the quilt with a scant 1/4 in seam , press toward to back and ladder stitch it to the back. It is always good to hear of a newbie and to know you are wanting to do the correct things. Good Luck.