Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pressing batting

pressing batting

I just sandwiched a full bed quilt (for a full size bunk bed) that is 75X85. The twin sized batting was 72X90. I wondered if it wouldn't be close enough. I pressed it and lo and behold - it worked! Barely, but it worked. When I told a friend I had ironed the batting to make it work she said she always irons her batting. Hmmmm. Not me.. I sandwich on a full bed with a pillow top mattress - it is a bit rounded and the shape seems to help the quilt pieces to cling and drape nicely. I hand press - rub my arm and hand over each piece as I sandwich - and never saw a need to iron before.

So what do the rest of you do?
    So many quilts, so little time.

I usually spray the batting and put it in the dryer but last time I had some ugly crease
    I sprayed it with water/vinegar and ironed it with some muslin in between (just to keep
    my iron clean). For a bigger piece I would probably just put in the dryer as usual.

Blog Entries
    if you iron it, then wash the finished quilt, would the batting try to go back to its original size? just askin' as i've never ironed batting.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've never had a piece of batting that didn't come with a huge crease in it, so I've always ironed.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I always just throw mine in the dryer

I press with a steam iron (up and down motion). I don't move the iron around because I don't want to stretch the batting.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

If it badly wrinkled .. I just mist it a bit and toss in the dryer. Sometimes just adding a few damp wash cloths does the trick if the wrinkles aren't too bad when I put it in the dryer.

If the batting is wrinkled, I throw it in the dryer with a damp towel. I would never, ever iron it - sounds like too much work! I have the same question as QuiltnNan about whether pressing the batting to make it larger is a good idea. I always piece on another scrap of batting if I'm short.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If the batting is wrinkled, I throw it in the dryer with a damp towel. I would never, ever iron it - sounds like too much work! I have the same question as QuiltnNan about whether pressing the batting to make it larger is a good idea. I always piece on another scrap of batting if I'm short.
    I agree with Dunster.

I so agree with Dunster!!!!!

I didn't stretch it with my ironing. It had many small wrinkles that when pressed made it large enough. My question was whether it was exactly 72" and ... it wasn't - it was a bit larger.
    So many quilts, so little time.