Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing a disappearing 9 patch >

Pressing a disappearing 9 patch

Pressing a disappearing 9 patch

Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Is there a way to avoid this pressing problem?

bkay
Hi, bkay. Surprise I occasionally venture out of the vintage section.

Sounds like there are some options. Just for fun, I tested my googlefu and found that some will clip seams and sew one seam pressed in different direction from other end or just press each end differently. You might want to check http://mlquilters.org/documents/Split9-Patch.pdf and Question about matching seams...

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks, Janey. I made up some dummy squares on paper and have figured out one way of pressing and laying them out that will work without having the conflicting seams.

You have to press the top and bottom rows in the same direction with the middle row in the opposite direction. Then, press the cross seams in the same direction. Once you slice the 9 patch, you can then flip the diagonal squares around. Then you have no matching seams at all, so you don't have to worry about it.

There may be other ways of doing it, too. I tried to figure out how you can lay it out so that it looks like it is sashed with cornerstones, but haven't gotten that one figured yet.

bkay

p.s. Janey, I just looked at the pdf. you found. That layout is the one that will work with the pressing I describe above. No cutting seams or matching seams. (at least it does with paper blocks)

Last edited by bkay; 05-15-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 05-18-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
Don't press anything with an iron until the top is completed. Finger-press the seams as you come to them so they nest. Yes, some of them may end up going one way on one side and the opposite way on the other side. Just squash everything flat after completion. Who's going to see it once it's sandwiched and quilted?
"Squash" I like that. Sometimes that's the best way. I wouldn't worry too much about which way those seams go. After the batt is on and it's quilted, it will not be seen. Did you ever watch Jenny Doan press her quilts? She always presses from the right side and doesn't even check if the seam are going the right way. She gets it done fast.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:57 PM

I agree with not pressing them at all until your top is done. Just doing the finger pressing as you go along. You can also press with half a wooden clothespin, using the rounded tip.
I also press from the top, not for speed, but because I had so much trouble with little folds at the seams when I pressed from the bottom. It kept throwing my accuracy off till I discovered pressing from the top first.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 PM

This pressing conrundrum is why I never make any pattern that has "disappearing" in the title.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by gigigray032447 View Post
This pressing conrundrum is why I never make any pattern that has "disappearing" in the title.
Aww, you are missing making some really fun quilts! I love making D9P. Not so much the D4P, I'm just not a fan of the look. The Tossed D9P is my favorite, all grab and sew and no worries about where things end up.

I will add that I find the pressing issue shows up in most of the patterns I make, so I have learned to just deal with it and keep sewing!