Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing Iron >

Pressing Iron

Pressing Iron

Old 08-12-2020, 04:54 PM

Default Pressing Iron

I'm looking at improving the quality of my current iron, a Black and Decker Evensteam iron. I've looked around Amazon for something, but it seems irons are a lot like computers. There are a lot of brands, and types, and different features.

Maybe someone can let me know what might be the ideal iron for my new found hobby, Quilting. My current iron goes through a tank of water in about 15 minutes. And I also keep snagging the power cord, and try to main myself at least once a day. That last is probably just my getting older, and clutzier.

If you have a suggestion that can be found on Amazon, would you please post the link, and let me know why you prefer that brand and model.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 PM

I have used a Panasonic 360 for the last 3-4 yrs & love it. Iron sets in a stand for heating & is cordless. Saw a sale online at a quilt shop & purchased another to have on hand. There are a few threads on irons that you could search for on Quilting Baord.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:56 PM

Irons are like jeans, it's a very personal decision and a lot of it depends on what you want. I quit spending $100 or more on an iron because I decided it just wasn't worth it, they don't last any longer than the lower price models. I spent $18 on a Hamilton Beach iron that I found, of all places, at the hardware store. This is where we get into personal decision stuff - it doesn't have an auto shutoff, which was my number one requirement. There are many quilters who want this feature, but not me. I use the steam feature maybe 30% of the time, so lots of steam wasn't high on my priority list. I like it so much I went back a few years later, found the same iron still on the shelf at the hardware store, so I bought another for a backup.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 AM

So timely! I just purchased a new iron and ironing board after my old cheapie one fell over and chipped the tip of the iron. Amazon delivered both. I bought the Panasonic cordless, and I love the cord not getting in my way. Plus, both ends of iron are pointed, which helps it glide both directions. And, the water reservoir is removeable. Love my new ironing board also. Heavy duty, solid, and fits WOF on surface!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-13-2020, 03:35 AM

I hadan Oliso, it literally caught fire while I was using it. That was ok because it spit steam out and it wasn't my friend. I replaced it with a Hamilton Beach Durathon from Walmart for around $45.00. It has a teflon soleplate and 1700 watts of power so it gets nice and hot. It does have auto shut-off and a retractable cord. I picked it because of the wattage, it has good steam and not real heavy. I don't use steam that often, I use Best Press or spray starch.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 AM

I no longer use water in my iron. Too many leaks. I now use a "mister" to squirt at the fabric and/or pieces before I iron. No big drops, just a fine mist. Easy to get these days. Amazon has them. Look for "mister". Good luck!
Old 08-13-2020, 10:23 AM

I like the idea of a cordless iron. My iron cord not only likes to tangle up with me, but also the fabric I'm trying to iron. Sometimes I think inanimate objects that I try to use have a mind of their own, and try to thwart the user. Though it is probably just me, clutsy me.

I imagine most people will always have a preference for just about anything that has many versions. When it comes to irons, I have owned exactly two, including this Black and Decker, so I haven't enough experience when it comes to irons. My old iron that I purchased in the 70's finally bit the dust a few years ago. That iron was very basic, but built to last.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I had a Rowenta. When it went out I bought a 18.00 iron from Dollar General. In fact I bought two and have a back up.

I find the cheaper irons work as good for me as more expensive ones.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:53 PM

I like a heavier iron, so I bought the Shark Ultimate Pro. Also, look for the higher watts - my Shark is 1800 watts. Since I was having trouble with water in the iron, I also quit putting water in my irons. My mother had a cord minder, so after 40+ years I finally decided to invest in one too, it lifts the cord up so it doesn't pull on what you are ironing. I do use a squirt bottle for water. I think I want to buy one of the sprayers hairstylists use.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 08-13-2020 at 07:56 PM.