Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seam open on a dowel rod? >

Pressing seam open on a dowel rod?

Pressing seam open on a dowel rod?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

I agree, pressing seams open is a personal preference. I do it only to avoid excessive bulk but you have to consider the batting you are using and how you are to quilt the top. I prefer a press seam to the side so not batting will migrate and I like to SITD.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 PM

As Silver Needle says, it keeps from pressing wrinkles into the surrounding pieces. I found that you don't need to enclose the split dowel in fabric, just bare wood works best for me. If you came from a garment construction background, you probably used a tightly rolled towel for a similar result.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 AM

Thanks for the input everyone! I never knew this was a popular practice among quilters, but it does make sense to me now. I will skip the batting and muslin and just use a half round dowel rod.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 AM

In reading this post, I remembered that I purchased a strip stick more than a year ago but have never used it... : (

I will take Prism99's suggestion and use it on my next set of long strips... The Gyspsy Wife quilt that I am working on has several longer strips in the quilt - some cut 1 inch and others at 1 1/2 inch wide at various lengths. I bet my strip stick will come in handy after all.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:13 AM

Wow. I had not heard of this product. It sure would have been handy for the two fabric bargello I just finished. Adding split dowel to my shopping list for my next trip into town.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 AM

I use one all the time. I have been doing BOMs and sometimes the directions call for a seam to be pressed open at bulky intersections.

What my hubby did was cut an 18" piece of handrail for me. While it is already flat on one side, he actually took off about 1" because he thought it would be more stable. I use it just as is - no covering. It allows me to press one seam and not disturb others.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 AM

Half round works wonderfully - I had seen this at a quilt show and went home and made several. I gave away quite a few as Christmas gifts. The other think I love about it especially when pressing seams open is you get only that seam!! Otherwise when I am trying to press I end up messing up the one next to it especially if they are skinny strips
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 AM

Why buy two quarter rounds and have to glue, I bought the half round years ago a use it all the time.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I use one all the time. I have been doing BOMs and sometimes the directions call for a seam to be pressed open at bulky intersections.

What my hubby did was cut an 18" piece of handrail for me. While it is already flat on one side, he actually took off about 1" because he thought it would be more stable. I use it just as is - no covering. It allows me to press one seam and not disturb others.
I was able to obtain a length of handrail in the bargain bin at a big box store. It's a handy tool. I do like the idea of your hubby having trimmed off about l inch for stability. I bit the bullet to get a more compact tool for quilting away from home sweet sewing room. :-)
Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Actually its easier to by 1/2 round instead of fully round dowel. That way it lies on the table better! But it is a super idea!
My hubby made me one out of the 1/2 round & I like it better because the doweling lies nice & flat. I did cover mine with heat proof fabric (not the stuff you use for pot holders) but this stuff is thin with a dull, almost aluminum looking coating on one side. This helps reflect the heat from the iron. I think it's the stuff they use for ironing board covers. Excuse me, I can't think of the names right now, I'm having a senior moment. LOL