Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seams open or to the side? And why? >

Pressing seams open or to the side? And why?

Pressing seams open or to the side? And why?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 AM

Allways pressed seams open when I made clothes, so it seemed the natural thing to do when I started quilting.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:55 AM

If you're HAND quilting, it makes a difference in which way the seam is pressed. I pressed seams to one side on my first quilt but decided to press open on this one. There IS a big difference because the hand pieced seams aren't nearly as close together and strong as the machine pieced. I'll never press seams open again!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 AM

I'm glad to see replies from seams-open quilters b/c I was beginning to feel like a quilting oddity. My mom taught me to sew when I was little but I'm a self-taught quilter. On the 1st few, I pressed to the side because that's what all the books said to do. I soon switched to pressing open because I like the flat flat surface it makes for quilting and I don't like seeing all those little ridges in my design. Admittedly it is more time consuming. There are places where I press to the side, like borders and sashes.

Having said all that, I will say that if you do a lot of QItD, press them to the side or there won't be a "ditch" to sew in. It's hard to stay in line w/o that ridge of fabric to follow and I wouldn't want to sew directly ON the threads of the piecing seams. I typically ignore the construction lines altogether and FMQ all over the place.

The usual argument is that pressing to the side makes the seams stronger. I have repaired a number of old hand-pieced quilts. The ones that came apart at the seams were either sewn with longer, looser stitches, not quilted as much, or maybe just loved a whole lot more. It appears that stitch quality made the difference, same as with a machine sewn quilt. I've been using (and machine washing!) my quilts for several years now and I've not had any problems with the seams giving way --yet. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I press mine to the side to "nest" them. I rarely press them open. I press them open on the back of the seam of my quilt backing. But that is all.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
It matters with Bargello quilt and also some Eleanor burns quilts because it creates locking seams

What are "locking seams"?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM

If your going to stitch in the ditch for machine quilting it is better to press to the side. If your going to do a curved end dresden plate or fan I press the seam open because it is easier to applique it onto the background block. Otherwise I don't think it matters. Then it is just a personal choice.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
It matters with Bargello quilt and also some Eleanor burns quilts because it creates locking seams
I have made many many bargello quilts, runners and press every one of the seams open.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM

I also do both...and when I do my bindings I am finding its better to iron/press them open, less bulk. When I do strip quilts I always press open. those with less bulk I do to the side.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM

I do both ways depending on what I am doing. Some time I press to one side opposite on block that go together to prevent bulk.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM

I pressed the seams open in one quilt because I was worried about bulk...however, after washing the quilt a few times I noticed a lot of batting working it's way up through those pressed open seams. I notice much less stringy insides coming up through the seams I press to the side.