Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pressing seams open >

pressing seams open

pressing seams open

Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM

I prefer to press the seams to one side - for me it is easier to match seams. That being said, when I have problems getting a seam to lay to one side or a seam is too bulky, I opt clipping the fabric and opening the seam. I've gotten to the point that it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm the only one who knows and I'll never tell.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Good info...thank you. I have traditionally pressed to the dark side but have never liked the bulkiness it creates at intersections of multiple pieces. Think I'll get out of my comfort zone next project and press the seams open and shorten my stitch length and machine quilt. May try a small project with seams open and hand quilt to see what happens.

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
I also press my seams open, with the sole exception being when I know I'm going to SITD, which isn't all that often. I love the seams open because the quilt lies flatter. I do shorten my stitch length when I know the seams will be open and that helps a lot. However, when I come across a seam that is starting to open, I just dab a bit of "glue baste" on it and make sure it dries shut. That takes care of the problem! With the short stitches, I don't need to do this very often, and it makes more sense to me than trying to backstitch at every seam. That said, I will backstitch if I know there will be a lot of pressure on the seam.

I know! Long answer for a short question! LOL!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Well, you better watch out that the Quilt Police don't show up at your door ! LOL...I usually press open also because I do mostly hand quilting