Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pressing seams open??? >

pressing seams open???

pressing seams open???

Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 PM

I'm doing a little scrappy baby quilt that I need to press most of the seams open where points meet. Finally got out my little Dritz iron that I bought many months ago at JAF at half price and put away. It works great. Has temp settings and runs down the seam very easily. I do still keep my little wooden stiletto handy to hold some areas open. Haven't burned my fingers or steamed my glasses yet!!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Probably 98% of the time I press my seams open. What I do is use my fingernail to open it then just press. I learned this from Sharlene Jorgensen, she used to have a show on TV called Quilting from the Heartlands, you can watch some of her videos on u tube.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 AM

I have the strip stick, and it works well in pressing seams open. Here is a technique I learned in a class...set the seam, then open the beginning of the seam, press an inch or so, LIFT UP THE SEAM SLIGHTLY and continue to press the seam open. Works great every time.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 AM

A popsicle or ice cream bar stick works pretty well and it's free.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
There is a little metal thing/ring that fits on your index finger tip with a long point for pressing. You could probably do the same thing with a wooden Popsicle stick to hold the seam allowance open while you press.
I use a good old fashioned cuticle stick. And who says you have to press the seams open?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:54 AM

Use a piece of one or one and a half dowel inserted under the seam to iron. The seam opens and irons Like magic. No need to buy an expensive tool.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:09 AM

Connecting Threads sells Dritz thermal thimbles to keep you from burning your fingers. I have some that are another brand but you can make one yourself out of leftover batting in a pinch. Easy peasy. It's just a little sweater for your finger.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:01 AM

OK, here's my two cents worth. I highly suggest getting a rounded piece of wood molding to press your seams open over. The stick does not need to be covered with muslin like commercially made ones. I just bought a section of curved molding from Home Depot and cut it into 2 pieces at home (a 24" piece and the rest for longer seams). If you don't have that, try this: press seam to set the seam, then spread it right side down on your ironing surface, hold the fabric strips up at about a 45 degree angle from the board, carefully wiggle the tip of your iron into the seam to press them open, as you move along the seam continue to hold up the fabric and it will magically open right up allowing you to press the seam open. If you have many seams to do, make sure your extra seams you just pressed hang off the edge of your board or you will probably iron them over the wrong direction with the back portion of your iron (by mistake).
Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
I press to set the seam, then open up and open the seam up with my finger for about five inches and press that portion open. After that I use the tip of the iron to open the seam, sliding along slowly and lowering the iron periodically. Had lots of practice from clothing construction, so it goes pretty fast.
That's the way I do it also. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM

I think what I am doing and how I burn my finger, almost every time I press open a seam, first I have a hard time opening the seams and when I finally get it open I run my ringer in the inside of the seam and push the iron along.. I think I may be pushing the iron to fast, it seems like the seam in places won't open up and that is were I end up hitting my finger, GGGRRRR as I said I am not the most coordinated person... anyway I am trying to be more careful, but I sure hate this pressing the seam open,can't wait till this quilt is done! Thanks everyone ...

I think I may try and make one of the stirpstick things that you told me about in case I do another quilt where I have to press the seams open..but that will not be to soon...LOL...Thanks again all...