Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressing as you sew...

I did two log cabin quilts by Eleanor Burns' method. She does not recommend pressing each time. The first quilt I did, I pressed every time. The second one, I just put the seam allowance where it should be and pressed the block when done. I have to say that the second method worked best for me, the blocks came out more consistent.

Hello,
    I like to prewash my fabrics to avoid any "surprises" and I like to iron my sewing as I go. Using a fabric starch helps, as when it comes time to quilt the top it has a more finished look and sets up in the quilt frame easier. Finished items look much nicer too. I hope this helps. Happy Quilting

Blog Entries
    press makes the difference

Press and sew here! If starch crisps it up, so does pressing. I'm all for it...with that said, am sure open to new ideas.

Blog Entries
    I also assembly sew, so that I am making several things at one time. I press each seam.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Craftybear, Sadiemae and Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    This is another reason I like to use starch, I can finger press a lot of seams and they stay nicely enough that a quick press at the end is all that may be necessary :D:D:D
    Thank you. I have trouble with either the starch bothers my finger tips or the smell of the starch activates me to get all plugged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Doiel
    Hello,
    I like to prewash my fabrics to avoid any "surprises" and I like to iron my sewing as I go. Using a fabric starch helps, as when it comes time to quilt the top it has a more finished look and sets up in the quilt frame easier. Finished items look much nicer too. I hope this helps. Happy Quilting
    Yes, I almost always prewash fabric before sewing.
    :P

It is so nice to hear from each of you. That is what I like so much about the board. You have friends at every turn!

Sew and press. I press after each seam. Pressing carefuly not to distort fabric. The better quality fabric the less distortion.
    And always square the block as I go if the pattern needs it. And square the finished block.

I have better results if I sew and press. I use starch as well. I learned the hard way not to iron. I have not had good luck with finger pressing at all.

If it doesnt bite me, I press it and many times I starch it too. I dont care what Im doing. I press everything all the time PLUS I square every seam.

press and sew, my work is much nicer when I take my time to do that.

Sew and press.

I will try your method tho. I guess it can't be any worse than making a scrappy quilt or PPing. Those were foreign to me once too.

I press and sew. I didn't when I started and have found this works best for me.

Blog Entries
    You all are so wonderful for sharing with me how you press and sew OR sew n' sew. Thank you.

This is still foreign to me, except I have tried it once and when I taught my DIL, she picked it up really well and her log cabin turned out very nice.

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    i am a big presser...i use finger pressing/or wooden presser only during block construction for certain blocks...like log cabins, but when i have finished the block i press it with the iron, sometimes, if finger pressing doesn't seem to 'do-it' i set up a little board and get my little iron out and use that at the side of my sewing machine so i don't have to get up and down 15 times for one block. if you starched and pressed well before cutting your strips then finger pressing is usually enough to get the block together. once i start sewing blocks together every seam gets pressed so the whole quilt top is well pressed when complete and ready for quilting.

Blog Entries
    Thank you ckcowl. Very good advice. I can see where a combination of pressing will help. :-D

I always press, I dont want to take the chance of it not working out.

I press each seam. It tends to keep the block more accurate.

I've made 18 log cabin heart quilts. It is cut lengthwise. The person that taught the class told us NOT to press as we go. Some quilters didn't listen, and the quilt was out of shape when they finished. I finger press carefully then press the whole block on my other quilt patterns now. Starch or magic sizing is great. Just my two cents.

Blog Entries
    Oh hi Grandma CheeChee: I've seen you in the Vintage Sewing Machines Shop on here. Nice to hear from you... 2 cents count and thank you.

Are finding that 'sew and sew' is saving you time?

I don't know if it saves times, but the blocks seem to lay better,

I like to press the seam to set the stitches. Don't always press them open.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    sew and sew!
    but i do have a little table to the side of me, that i can press on if i need to.
    me too; I do finger press sometimes too
    Also, like rita, I pay attention to seam direction as I sew.

Press and sew.

Hi, I have stopped pressing/ironing until I finish a block - I WAS stretching the fabric! Took a class with Kaye England (many small pieced triangles - Star of Hope pattern) and she told us just to finger press until the block was done - they came out great! Now I either finger press or use the "Fabric Folding Pen". (Basically wetting the seam and then finger-pressing it lightly without stretching it) It works great, flattens the seams almost as much as an iron but is easier to change the direction than if the seam was ironed. Just wet again and reverse the seam direction. Hope this helps.

Hi, I have stopped pressing/ironing until I finish a block - I WAS stretching the fabric! Took a class with Kaye England (many small pieced triangles - Star of Hope pattern) and she told us just to finger press until the block was done - they came out great! Now I either finger press or use the "Fabric Folding Pen". (Basically wetting the seam and then finger-pressing it lightly without stretching it) It works great, flattens the seams almost as much as an iron but is easier to change the direction than if the seam was ironed. Just wet again and reverse the seam direction. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast