Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing as you sew... >

Pressing as you sew...

Pressing as you sew...

Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by jacqstash
Hi, I have stopped pressing/ironing until I finish a block - I WAS stretching the fabric! Took a class with Kaye England (many small pieced triangles - Star of Hope pattern) and she told us just to finger press until the block was done - they came out great! Now I either finger press or use the "Fabric Folding Pen". (Basically wetting the seam and then finger-pressing it lightly without stretching it) It works great, flattens the seams almost as much as an iron but is easier to change the direction than if the seam was ironed. Just wet again and reverse the seam direction. Hope this helps.
Yes your reply does help. I have been wondering where this not pressing has come from... Kaye England is coming to my area in September. I want to try to attend her workshop. I only hear great things about her.

Thank you and thank you to everyone else's reply. I do really appreciate everyone's take on this subject.
: :-D
Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM

If you can - definitely go to a Kaye England Workshop - she is great - lots of general info and very funny.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks Jackie. :D
Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 AM

I always, always, always press seams before I sew over them.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 AM

I hear ya... I do like pressing. But those 1" strip log cabin squares... :shock:
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM

I've always "pressed" my blocks lightly or I finger press - I think it makes a difference. Guess it comes from sewing lots of clothes yrs ago ...
New sewers & quilters don't know how to press vs IRONING a block to death ... when I taught classes that was one of the first things we practiced
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM

TexasGirl: when I have attended classes that is what I have been taught also. That is why this seems so different. I haven't taken count but it seems to me that there is about a 50/50 split on this topic. Kinda reminds me of the topic of prewashing fabric or not before assembling blocks. I am finding it a very interesting discussion. Thank you, :-D
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I have always pressed as I sew but I sew assembly line style so I will sew many units then take all the units and press. I will often be completing several blocks at the same time.
Ditto :thumbup:
Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 AM

I just sew and sew... I find it easier... and faster...
Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM

When I started out I didn't always press. My defining moment came when I made a tote bag from the book Holiday Happenings (25+ years ago) and the design was made out of log cabin made with 1" strips. I did not press and my design was considerably smaller that it was supposed to be. Very noticeable on the small log cabins. I now press (not iron) my seams as I go, I like the way it looks and the pieces seem to behave better. I use a little starch and found it helped me a lot with matching up seams and points, The wooden tool presses the seam but I am always afraid I will stretch the fabric with it. I can remember my Mother taking a seam and running it across the edge of the SM cabinet, I have done that before but now I think that would stretch the fabric also. But in the end it is what ever works for you.