Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewash thrift store shirts? >

Prewash thrift store shirts?

Prewash thrift store shirts?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Always wash first. Goes stright to the washer before anything or any placee.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM

I always go straight to the washer with any thrift store clothes and/or fabric. Don't ever know what might be on them and I am allergic to any animals with fur.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Straight from the car trunk to the washer regardless if a Thrift Store, garage sale OR, yes, even the fabric store. Afterall, fleece is shipped to the US from overseas someplace with formalyde sprayed upon it and sucked into plastic. One never knows where this fabric has been or what it has been exposed to. Please, please, please wash.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
Getting ready to cut up some thrift store shirts for a quilt and am wondering should I prewash the shirts. Kinda think that I should but wouldn't they have already be washed and shrunk?

Sheila
They might be already washed but I would wash and dry them 2 or 3 times to remove sweat, dirt, or anything else. I remember purchasing shirts at a thrift store and mentioning to the clerk that I always wash them before using them. She gave me a very enthusiastic overly emphasized nod of "yes, Definitely". I am sure she has seen everything! :-D
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Our stores require that anything donated be prewashed...but I would still wash anyway!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM

IT'S NOT THE SHRINKAGE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. WHENEVER I BRING SOMETHING FROM A THRIFT STORE, I PLACE IN MICROWAVE FOR 1 MINUTE (MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO STAPLES OR METAL BUTTONS.) iF THERE IS SOMETHING CRAWLY LIVING IN THERE, WHEN YOU TAKE IT OUT "IT CRAWLETH NO MORE."
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM

i'VE HEARD IT SAID THAT JUST WASHING IN HOT WATER DOESN'T GET RID OF THE BEDBOGS AS THE EGGS ARE ATTACHED AND CAN HATCH EVEN AFTER WASHING. tHAT IS WHY I MICRO THEM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by blossom808
Yes always wash first. Never know were it has been. Plus who is touching it. Plus you never buy used shoes from thrift stores.
-----------------
I do, or would in a heart beat if I could find one single pair that felt good on my feet. After breaking an ankle many years ago, everything, with only ONE exception, hurts after a half hour or so. Lace up cowboy ropers I can walk in for hours and hours. Haven't found any around here just like these, will have to go back to Texas to visit daughters and get another pair. Afraid to order from a catalog, done that and had to send them back.
I would LOVE to find a pair like this here, and have not to date. And you can bet I've tried everything, from sneakers to high boots, since these aren't cheap.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I would wash them & put a little Lysol in with the stuff. (I do that after camping)
I always wash too, hot water, hot dryer. Never thought of Lysol...how much do you use in washing? Thanks for this suggestion, will probably help my sons' potentially damp clothes after camping. Good idea. Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Probably, but I would wash them anyway!